Branding and identity

gcol90

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck to use to brand myself. My initials are GC so I've played around with that, but I came up with something similar to the Comedy Central logo. Is it gonna be best to just stick to my name, keep it simple?

I would think GC is one of the better letter combinations you could have, i think there's a lot you could do with that. Like with most things, some of the ideas you come up with are going to have been done before, so i think it's just a case of playing around until you come up with something different enough. Have you done any research into monograms to look at the various ways of joining different letters? Otherwise like you said you could just use your name and do something with that. Without knowing anything about what you do or what look and feel you're going for it's hard give suggestions!

As has already been said, we'll be able to help you a lot more if you upload your work for us to see!
The sad fact is that there are too many people working in design for you to always come up with something original, and when the brief is to simply combine two very common initials, you might be out of luck. I think it's important to have something unique, but it might have to be that you make it unique in the way you present it rather than how you combine the letters.
Alex had this problem with his brand (how is that going?) but he managed to come up with something that well presented, even though the letter combination wasn't 100% unique, which is fine, because a lot of the time it's impossible to be unique!

bleurghhhh, my minds a blank as to what i can do.
ScreenShot2013-10-16at190724_zpsfcea59ae.png

ignore the colouring. ignore the dot, dunno why i've put that there. it's supposed to be a G and a C combined :/. i haven't used a typeface
i literally can't think of anything lol. i've gone through variations of it looking like the comedy central logo, the copyright logo. sketched some ideas, drew out a g with straight lines, ended up drawing a lightning bolt. this is a task and a half.

One way I thought about doing it... But really not sure about it after I quickly computerised it. Seems like CJ to me now. Meh.
4RP6i.png

ah thanks ben. yeah, now you've said that, i see a c and j too.... i'll have a think/play this weekend to try and come up with something. i've gone for this to tie me over for now;
ScreenShot2013-10-16at232237_zps22080aef.png

Why not add the lower half of the g onto the c from your latest "basic" one? I think Ben is on the right lines by using the c as part of the g, but I would probably try out as many different variations of that as you can. You'll probably have to play around with the size of each characters to get it to look right.

2 very quick ideas... might be something worth playing around with if nothing else

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 4
I'm still working on this, at the moment I'm just using my name for now, looks okay on my site, just want something with a bit more oomph. I'll sketch out some ideas and post them in the next few days.

i fired this up in a couple of mins, try having the g flow into the c. hope its of help to you.

Attachments

• Graphic1.png
    Graphic1.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 0
mick_mccabe said:
i fired this up in a couple of mins, try having the g flow into the c. hope its of help to you.
Ahhh cheers mate, that helps. I kinda gave up on the idea of 'GC' because I couldn't incorporate then together nicely, but I'll give it a go again.

Ben Gibbons said:
Got any further with this Gareth?
Sean Lee-Amies said:
Yeah, we'd love to have a look!
I will once I've done some more to it, been reworking some old portfolio pieces in the mean time, but will keep you updated. :)

Look forward to seeing some progress! I decided that I'm going to re-brand myself late this year/early next year. Already got a concept ready, just gotta work it into a finished brand.

Okay, I'll post some of my ideas up in a bit, trying to avoid using C, as I don't like any combinations, and I had a gander at dribbble for 'GC logo's' to see what's out there and every combination has been done to death, so I'm going for just G. Though the one I was happy with last night, I was told it looks a bit effeminate?
logosmall-g_zps0daa36b1.jpg

I just used Grand Hotel for the type, customised it slightly to flow into the outer circle, like it for it's simplicity, so am aiming for something above.
Who'd have thought branding yourself would be so bloomin difficult.

I really like this.
It's balanced which is tricky to acheive with a letter in a circle and it flows well.
Not sowing any seeds here but it reminded me very slightly of the "Gibson" logo but better and has a bit of a tennis/baseball look.
That'd look really nice in letterpress.
Think you're onto a winner here.

Thanks!
Yeah, that was what I was trying to do, have something that flowed together nicely. Just Googled Gibson's logo, see what you mean, but think this is.... curvy enough to be different.
Tried another variation, same concept as before attempted drawing my own 'G'.
ScreenShot2014-02-08at152317_zpsf060641c.png

See what you mean about the baseball look!

Back