brand and logo help!

7up

Hello all,

recently I have thought of the compelling idea of having a site where I go around disused buildings in my local area and catalog them....

but I'm struggling with what to call the site and how to design my logo.

Ive thought of some pretty cool brand names, but I don't know if other people will like them:

UrbexHudds
Urbex in the hudd
Urban exploration Huddersfield
Urbex in hudds

(Huddersfield been my local area, and urbex meaning exploring abandonment)

My questions are,

are those brand names good (please comment a better one if you can think of one)
and how do I make a logo that will suite the name (I'm a noob)

Thank you!

Hey 7up,

Welcome to the forums.

Didn't know that was a thing but when I was a kid I used to do a lot of it as I lived close to a lot of abandoned buildings in one of Sheffield's manufacturing areas.
I used to get a real buzz out of exploring them and probably still would. :D

The first appeals more but I'd be inclined to make it HuddsUrbex as translates to "Huddersfield Urban Exploration".

The logo is completely down to your taste.
You could just go with a logotype and just have the name or something more pictorial or symbolic.

If I were making one then I'd tend to go for something with a reference to a building as not everyone would know what "Urbex" means.

Reactions: 7up
Hey 7up,

Welcome to the forums.

Didn't know that was a thing but when I was a kid I used to do a lot of it as I lived close to a lot of abandoned buildings in one of Sheffield's manufacturing areas.
I used to get a real buzz out of exploring them and probably still would. :D

The first appeals more but I'd be inclined to make it HuddsUrbex as translates to "Huddersfield Urban Exploration".

The logo is completely down to your taste.
You could just go with a logotype and just have the name or something more pictorial or symbolic.

If I were making one then I'd tend to go for something with a reference to a building as not everyone would know what "Urbex" means.

Thank you, some good points there...

theres a lot of dereliction in Sheffield, should give it a go, lot of fun.

thanks again (y)

First thing I'd be doing is thinking about your target market, what sort of names would they know the 'derelict site viewing' as. You use the term urbex but is that a term that others would know, I've never heard of the term but I have seen bits about the viewing of derelict sites.
Logo - typographical would be my approach, maybe even going grafittish or derelict style of text but a clean simple approach would work just as well.

Also just a side note, I know Huddersfield quite well due to going to Uni there, although it's been a few years since I was there, and am curious as to where you're finding the abandoned buildings, there wasn't that many when I was there in my opinion.

I’d keep it really simple and call it Abandoned Huddersfield or Disused Huddersfield

Just go with a plain text header and launch the project. If it becomes popular you can make a logo later.

First thing I'd be doing is thinking about your target market, what sort of names would they know the 'derelict site viewing' as. You use the term urbex but is that a term that others would know, I've never heard of the term but I have seen bits about the viewing of derelict sites.
Logo - typographical would be my approach, maybe even going grafittish or derelict style of text but a clean simple approach would work just as well.

Also just a side note, I know Huddersfield quite well due to going to Uni there, although it's been a few years since I was there, and am curious as to where you're finding the abandoned buildings, there wasn't that many when I was there in my opinion.
I’d keep it really simple and call it Abandoned Huddersfield or Disused Huddersfield

Just go with a plain text header and launch the project. If it becomes popular you can make a logo later.

Thanks for the points,

theres loads in Huddersfield just not in the town centre... a bit further a field in the small villages

I used to do this years ago back in Art College days when I was into photography, you find some really interesting and atmospheric places.

Huddersfield Urbex would be the obvious and boring one, but might help with searches etc.

Or how about:

Huddersfield Revealed
Huddersrevealed
Hudderspeeled

As regards a logo, you would probably end up wasting a lot of time trying to come up with something clever, but best to keep
with a simple logotype.

I used to do this years ago back in Art College days when I was into photography, you find some really interesting and atmospheric places.

Huddersfield Urbex would be the obvious and boring one, but might help with searches etc.

Or how about:

Huddersfield Revealed
Huddersrevealed
Hudderspeeled

As regards a logo, you would probably end up wasting a lot of time trying to come up with something clever, but best to keep
with a simple logotype.

nice ideas and thank you (y)

theres loads in Huddersfield just not in the town centre... a bit further a field in the small villages
In which case maybe drop the word 'Huddersfield'. This will let you explore the local area. And dropping the word 'Urban' means you include industrial slites, farms, military sites, railways, waterways and so much more.

So just go for a made up name. Or even use your own name. That way you become the brand.

In which case maybe drop the word 'Huddersfield'. This will let you explore the local area. And dropping the word 'Urban' means you include industrial slites, farms, military sites, railways, waterways and so much more.

So just go for a made up name. Or even use your own name. That way you become the brand.

good point, cheers :)

Back