br3n.co.uk

Ah thanks :) Didnt see it earlier.

In this case I'm sure borders can be used (I havent looked) but in a situation where there is a div of say 500px width, and you want a 700px line, you would have to have another div in there of that length, which would be bad practise.

In all honesty I dont know about cross browser hr's but would assume that in most cases it isn't important as someone will see the hr in their repsective browser and that is all, and it doesnt look too different (resets etc of margins of course necessary to make sure the rest of the site isn't 'ruined') but then that's just my opinion...

Why cant we all just use a cross platform identical browser :'(

Bleh Just read up on some cross browser issues and its more serious than I thought in IE and opera using borders on the hr and hence the issues begin.

:(

renniks said:
I find it odd that someone in web design isn't knowledgable on this stuff but after being here for a while now, lots and lots of designers aren't and dont care as there is so very much to learn in design.

The honest truth is that I dont actually want to work in web, I want to, and should be working in furniture/3d/interior but graphics & web design (not code) have been a side interest for sometime. I like to have a basic understanding of what im designing and this is just a learning exercise really.

with reguards to the HR problem, the html table using simple me says why not just use a graphic (a 1px line) instead? are there any REAL reasons why this is not an easier/better method?

Dont see any harm in it :)
Might be slightly ?! slower. but thats not really an issue with a 1px line (or 1px background image repeat-x)
can put it as a background image of a div (though then you mightaswell use border) or just shove the image in ?!

I honestly couldnt tell you which would load quicker, a 1 px line image, or a div + a 1 px dot repeated. :)

I feel the my interests picture should have 8 more (The same as the above picture) rather than just the one.

Do you have a print spreadsheet?

Allowing people to print it in the manner you want?

br3n said:
surely adding a div for a 1px line is overkill?

You wouldn't need to add a div.

You should only have your heading in the <h3> instead of the whole paragraph.

You've got this:

<h3><strong>Hello and welcome to br3n.co.uk</strong>.<br />
My name is Brendan Patterson and incase you hadn't guessed it, this is my personal..... </h3>

You should just have the heading in the <h3></h3> and then you can style that as bold in the CSS instead of using <strong>. Then you could wrap your body text in a P and give that a class and then add the border-bottom to that.

I.E

HTML:

<h3>Hello and Welcome to br3n.co.uk</h3>
<p class="introtext">Body text here</p>

CSS:

h3 {font:bold 1em Arial, Verdana, Sans-serif; color:#fff;} (or whatever font size/face you want)

P.introtext {border-bottom:2px solid #whatever;}

It's probably been said as I've not read the thread but the links such as Furniture | Logo | Web... need to drop down to the picture regarding that, rather than the summary below.

Nice site though, lets the portfolio speak for itself.

Back