Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Born Again Designer

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by abdesigns, Mar 26, 2009.

1. abdesigns

abdesigns New Member

Hi, and wow! what a interesting place to be, I 'm just dont know why I hadn't look into checking out this site before!

Anyway, basically I've been a graphic designer for some 15 years or more in the field of Advertising and Design and at the end of the 90's I pulled out to do some travel and in that time had to have an emergency operation, something that seems to be prevalent when getting old! anyhow that pulled me away from graphics into other really quite boring work. and its only 8 years later that I decided to do graphics. So I'm now a born again designer.

Design has moved forward very quickly, and styles vary a lot, speed and time scales have changed too and this is something I need to be aware off. Having completed a number of adobe courses to update my skills, Ive thrown myself into freelance or really setting up my own business, except without any capital, hence the hard way!

So I'm hoping to meet all kinds of people who share the drive and enjoyment of design, have a laugh and perhaps get some advice and opinions on my presently pedestrian approach to work! Look forward to chatting to you all!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Hey Andy

A warm wlecome to the Graphic Design Forums, good to have you here:icon_thumbup:

Do you have a website showcasing some of your work? If so, get the URL in your signature.

3. Stationery Direct

Just checked out your About Me section, had to google "cichlids" :icon_biggrin:
  4. abdesigns

abdesigns New Member

It sounds like a nasty growth, I'm glad you checked up! (fish) and thanks for the warm welcome.
  5. KevJaques

KevJaques Member

Hi Andy, Welcome to the Forum :)

As you have only just set yourself up again I would recommend you get a domain name for yourself/business.

Welcome Home ;) heheh
  6. lauralil

lauralil Member

Hey Andy

Welcome to the forums and back to the glorious world of GD!!

I'm the other end of the scale, 2nd year at uni, freelancing my butt off and working 2 days in a fab studio. Loving my practice, and can see why you have returned to it.

If you're looking for a way to keep your skills up to date I can thoroughly recommend Tutorials - Online Training -, it has a HUGE database of tutorials for every design programme imaginable and they bring out new courses almost as quickly as the new software programmes are released.

I can imagine things have changed hugely since you were last in the industry!!

Wishing you the very best with your business

Laura :icon_biggrin:
  7. 30two

30two New Member

Hi Andy, welcome along :)
  8. andyd8

andyd8 Member

Welcome and good luck! Really hope it takes off for you
  9. abdesigns

abdesigns New Member

Thanks guys for your warm welcome and your info - all your comments have been taken on board and useful.

I know I'm probably doing things the hard way in a sense by starting off with little or nothing in my pocket. and an old portfolio that needs updating. but it alls pretty exciting as things progress. The online courses sound great and I've bookmarked the site. and yep my domain name needs to be sorted!

Thanks again

10. Journey

Journey Member

Welcome to the Graphic Design Forums. It's great to see new members here!
  11. Stationery Direct