Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boot camp on mac?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by tim, Jan 12, 2009.

1. tim

tim Senior Member

anyone got any experience with installing windows or linux on mac using boot camp?

i don't understand it; i have windows vista next to me, just don't know how to install it!

2. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

Its definately not easy, I tried two programs to get mac on windows; took ages of messing about and the tutorials aren't all that straight forward.
    And it ran sooo slow, and I have 4GB RAM!!

Definately not for the faint hearted...

3. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

I know someone who's used parrells which is the same sort of thing (although not difficult to install) and also means that you can switch between osx and windows without rebooting, you can have osx open and switch between it and windows

4. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

Correct me if Im wrong but Bootcamp enables you to run both a windows operating system and mac osx on two seperate portions of you hardrive at the same time - being able to switch from one to the other by simply enabling expose?

What do you want to run vista on your mac for anyway Tim? I would only ever use it for checking website and how they render in IE.

If you do run both OS's side by side remember - it will be worth getting extra hardrive space and Ram. - I would max out your laptop with ram anyway.

5. tim

tim Senior Member

I've got a pretty good macbook spec anyways.

My friend doing computer science recently installed windows on his mac, and loves having two choices.

There's a long list of reasons as to why I want windows on my mac, these are just a few:

--> I can get programs I can't on mac, or better versions of the mac equivalents.
    --> I can see what all the fuss is about with Internet Explorer 8 and all that beta crap.
    --> I can view all my web files on internet explorer, which makes a massive difference, as at the mo, I only have IE 5 on my mac, which is pathetic and doesnt check it correctly
    --> I can feel cool, and more geeky than I already do :D

TBH it'd make huge differences for me, even if no one else thinks so! I need it on the move as well, but I hate Windows based laptops, they make me want to smack Bill Gates in the face.

But thanks for all the help guys; parallels was also suggested to me, I just never got round to getting it.

6. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

Fair does....Im interested in this comment "better versions of the mac equivalents" haha.

I spose we all have different ways of using our toys....

7. tim

tim Senior Member

Yeah, well let's face it, if we compare mac MSN to windows MSN, it's crap! It may as well be an email system instead!

8. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

Get on with mine fine - Im actually using aMSN though....may be worth a try.

But running boot camp all for msn ;) haha - jokes

9. tim

tim Senior Member

lol it wouldnt be worth the whole £0 i spent on it, just for msn. that was just an example.

it's really so i can have two laptops in one, viewing web docs cross browser, which will be great. it also means i can have the new windows 7 beta when it gets onto the shelves (instead of bitTorrent)... everything will be good!

10. berry

berry Active Member

I've got Bootcamp on my laptop. Haven't got the fogiest what it's for or what it does. Don't even know why someone put it on? Love to get rid of the bloody thing off my desktop.

11. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

I was under the impression bootcamp would only let you boot as one or the other not switch between the two, but could be wrong, parrelles also portions a separate area of your HD. I think it would be worth looking into the difference before installing.

12. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Hi Berry, as far as I know that's something that comes pre-installed now on the latest OS/Intel Macs

13. I have a newish macbook pro (1 year old)...so bootcamp is on there...and...all I need to do is pop in XP and install it straight or what?

14. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

15. Cool bananas! thanks a million! I think downloading windows 7 and installing it onto my mac might be an interesting exercise!

16. tim

tim Senior Member

I don't think you can install Windows 7 yet. When i loaded boot camp yesterday, it told me i could only add vista or xp. :(

17. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member