Book cover, licence, and legal advice?

Have you signed over the rights or the usage of the design?

If not, then you still retain them even if she's paid you 50%.

Say if you agreed to design a logo for a client for say £400 and you get paid and the client gets a new logo.
Unless you sign over the full rights then technically, you still own it and you could ask for additional payment every time they use it for something different "usage".
I haven't signed anything over, at least I don't think so.
Thanks for clearing that up :)

Hello everyone! It's me again. I was just trying to sort the copyright form out with Amazon when I decided to have a free preview of the book in question. It states right there in black white that the cover was designed by the other designer. Does anyone know how to use the Amazon forms? Is this a design right concern? Copyright?

Not sure about Amazon Forms but it is a copyrights issue I think.

It just boils down to the facts that she's using work that she doesn't have the rights to use and she's credited a Designer that didn't do the work by their own admission.

I'd take everything you have in terms of email conversations with the third designer, the publisher and others, then go to a solicitor and give them everything and let them sort it out.

Your legal fees should be covered by the publisher too when you win the case.

I wouldn't let it go. Even if it cost me money to get the solicitors involved.

Just looked at the Amazon form. Use the default fields:

"copyright concerns - unauthorized use of copyrighted material, such as text, photos, videos, music, software."
"the physical product or its packaging includes unauthorized copyrighted content or images without being pirated"

The other designer altered the file, do I still own it? I

Yes, sort of. If they used your original file and did not hand over the IP rights to the work then it is derivative of your original works and you have a right to fight its use.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is speak to a copyright lawyer. Decide what outcome you want from this – financial compensation, or just for her to not use the work? Get proper legal advice if you're not prepared to fight it yourself. Most should give you a free consultation to advise on whether or not it's worth chasing.

Otherwise, think about the time and energy you're spending on this. Is it worth it? It stings when someone screws you over, but I try and put it behind me. Something tells me the book likely won't be a hit. But if it is, and you want to claim financial compensation for copyright theft later down the line, then now is the time to discuss it with a lawyer.

Changing a few things around or making small alterations does not transfer copyright ownership.

That's a common misconception in copyright.

Hi guys thanks for the comments. I will fight this myself, and the IDEAL outcome is I get paid for the work, however I am happy to settle on my name being credited and the other designer's being removed. I was just curious about the Amazon form

Back