Book cover Critique

Marina Fayez

This is my first book cover design and I need your review and if there's any cover content missing...thanks in advance!.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 25
Looks OK but check your spolling and gramma on the blurb. Not sure about the three headed nightmare. What it is supposed to represent?

Your main title isn't big enough and the texture on it would make it illegible at a smaller size.

You seem to have two subheadings, it's all a bit of a jumble and needs simplifying a bit.

The photo needs to be on the back. Just their names on the front and no titles, keep it for the back.

Ok

I'd make the "Human Nature" part much much bigger.

And sub heading at same size as is right now.

The part on the right - not sure what that is - but it looks out of place. If it was a dust jacket then it would be perfect as that would wrap around to the inside. There's essentially 2 questions on the front - I'd be inclined to lose the side bar altogether. Maybe move that to the back.

Some copy editing on the back - and you can include that piece as a strip on the bottom at the back (or the top) if it needs to be included.

Overall - it's good. Just needs to be tidy. Look up some book covers and you won't see any over complication or too much information.

Looks OK but check your spolling and gramma on the blurb. Not sure about the three headed nightmare. What it is supposed to represent?
Thanks a lot for your reply, about the three headed woman I just was trying to think deep like it represents the stages from looking down out of depression to getting her head up to the light of hope or something like that...

Your main title isn't big enough and the texture on it would make it illegible at a smaller size.

You seem to have two subheadings, it's all a bit of a jumble and needs simplifying a bit.

The photo needs to be on the back. Just their names on the front and no titles, keep it for the back.
Yes,after seeing the design from a distant I noticed that legibility part, about the photo, unfortunately the customer wanted it to be in the front cover and I'll try to figure out something for the subheadings

Thanks a lot for the reply

Ok

I'd make the "Human Nature" part much much bigger.

And sub heading at same size as is right now.

The part on the right - not sure what that is - but it looks out of place. If it was a dust jacket then it would be perfect as that would wrap around to the inside. There's essentially 2 questions on the front - I'd be inclined to lose the side bar altogether. Maybe move that to the back.

Some copy editing on the back - and you can include that piece as a strip on the bottom at the back (or the top) if it needs to be included.

Overall - it's good. Just needs to be tidy. Look up some book covers and you won't see any over complication or too much information.
It is not a dust jacket, but you are right it will be much better if it was, I was confused about the side bar too so I'll try to figure something out about it. Thanks a lot for motivating me I will absolutely take your word in consideration.

At the moment, the photo totally takes one's eye away from everything else. That should only be the case if they are really famous
and are the main focus.

…about the photo, unfortunately the customer wanted it to be in the front cover
What they want in this case is irrelevant. As the designer you should advise them that it's not good practice and detracts from the cover itself. Put the image on the back if they want one. It makes sense because the reader will flip the book over to read the blurb and see the authors in relation to this.

There's a reason you don't see best-sellers with the author profile on the front of the book.

I agree with the advice offered so far, especially about moving the photo to the back. You can do your best to educate and advise the client about that point but at the end of the day if they absolutely insist on their photo being on the front... hey, it's their money. If the client's happy that's the end goal.

Back