Blurred graphics

NickyF

Hi
Am fairly new to design and when creating a banner to have printed (quite large - 76cm deep x 122cm wide) the online company that I use are advising that the images are low quality (I created the banner in Illustrator). Is anybody able to advise what I need to do to make the quality crisper when printing in large format like this? I did try to upload the banner but it advises it is too large (1.7Mb so not that big really)
Many thanks!

If it's created in Illustrator as vector objects then it's likely an issue with your exported file, most likely the resolution or the format (PDF is typically the preferred version).

If you've got imagery embedded in your AI file, then you need to ensure those images are a high enough resolution. A banner is unlikely to need to be 300dpi so you can get away with using a lower resolution, but I tend to stick to 300 just to be sure.

Thanks Paul. It is created in Illustrator with links to 1 other Illustrator file and 3 gifs. Is that the issue? I also tried uploading the main Illustrator file and still had the same low resolution issue so don't think it is the way I am exporting the PDF. Should I convert text to outlines perhaps - I know the company that i am using do not have/use the font that I have used.

GIF is a compressed web format, that doesn't support a full range of colours, that's probably why you're running into issues. For print you want to use TIFF or even high res JPG. Avoid GIF or PNG when possible as these are web/screen formats.

Always convert text to outlines when preparing artwork (save this as a separate file). If you send a file to a printer with live text in it, they'll get an error when they open it and just throw the file back at you. Or even worse, they'll print it with default fonts.

Back