• Blue goes with black

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Blue goes with black but the turquoise is nicer

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Blue does NOT go with black

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

m4rk44

Ok so I really need some advice/feedback.

I'm currently designing a logo for a business that myself and another person are launching this year. The company is related to offshore work and myself and my business partner have different views on the colour of the logo.

It was originally designed in a light turquoise and my business partner favoured blue. I told him it was my belief that blue/black didn't quite go well and was a bit of design "no-go". So we kept the turquoise and changed the shade to a darker one.

We've had a test run of T-Shirts and Stickers printed and my business partner has said he's not a fan of the colour and would like to explore making the wave blue.

So this is my question: Does black and blue go together in a design sense?

I've attached a copy of the logo as blue and as turquoise so you can better understand what I mean.

I'm not a design pro, but I comfortably know my way around photoshop and illustrator and have a little bit of design experience. However, I have never seen black and blue used well (in my opinion), or can recall any major, successful and reputable company using black and blue together as their standalone corporate logo.

HELP!

Attachments

• on blue.png
    on blue.png
    66 KB · Views: 13
  • on turq.png
    on turq.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 13
The blue is ok but the turquoise looks better because it's a brighter shade and more
indicative of sea, I think.

Reactions: ash
Who is to say blue and black don't go together? The old saying I remember was "Red and green should never be seen"…well that obviously didn't include Christmas where red/green is every where! I don't see why any colour combo can be used if you/client like it. Let's face it, we see designs (regardless of colour) every where, every day that make us cry in frustration because they're so shit but SOMEONE likes them! As for your colour conundrum, I don't mind either.

Attachments

• logo-variations.png
    logo-variations.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 7
In theory any colour combination could work, so long as you find the correct hues. Often it's not the colours so much as the tone. If two colours a placed together and share a tone, they'll both appear to be conflicting. This is particularly a problem for people with certain types of colour-blindness. A good way to test is to reduce the colour of the document to greyscale. If the colours appear to be the same shade of grey, then you need to darken or lighten one of them to help our eye differentiate between them.

In the examples you gave, the lighter tone is my preferred option, simply because it contrasts well with the black. You could go a step further and use a very dark blue instead of black to bring the colours together more.

Really appreciate the replies guys. Thank you for the feedback. I'll have a play with the tones and see what I can come up with and make them greyscale - cheers for that tip Paul.

Back