Blue or Red

mrp2049

proofblue.jpg

proofred.jpg

Did both of these posters today, and a pair of proofs that I want to avoid showing because they suck, but were requested by the client, luckily he will never come anywhere near here!

I know there are a few glitchs in the splatter on the background of the red background, but my concerns are:

1. Red or Blue
2. Different blue? Is it too pale and lacking contrast?
3. Is the red and splatter vibe too much for a funk, hiphop, brazilian beats and rock and roll night? I am fairly certain it is, but I like the way it looks. Different colour ideas?
4. Any other thoughts gents?

EDIT: After some feedback I'm including the green now...

discardme4.jpg

Personally I prefer the blue design but I also think it says more of a chill out night.
I don't really associate red with the theme, I'd have said more citrus colours or pinks/blues for rock and roll but thats just me.

Of the two, I prefer the blue, I find the red is a too 'harsh', however I think other colours could achieve a better effect, sadly I dont know what colours.... haha

client said red, hence the red. I will knock up a few other colours, I think green might be a good way to go.

I kinda wanted to do something muted as an antidote to the scary red, and the ropey brief I was set!

Thanks gents.

renniks said:
What about a mute red? almost pink?

I am going against pink these days, I had a bit of an obsession with rhodamine red

rhodamine_red.jpg

and it has left me wanting avoiding it.

I think Levi has a point.

learn them it will help. I have taken to thinking in pantones for posters, not that they ever get printed that way, but I like how they look

It's just good idea to understand what they represent in terms of the numbers on screen to the colours you get. Also baring in mind the way colours are produced on screen compared to how they are produced in print.

Back on point...

discardme4.jpg

Now in Green!

Completely agree with the green over the other colours :)

I think the red is way too harsh but certainly catches your eye.

the blue is far too light and i would walk past it if it were a poster in a bar window
the green is too pale looking.

The prob is it doesn't scream exciting night to me, it's a bit formal.

- I like the bulb
- I would consider using a grungey styled brazilian colour scheme as it could be really eye catching
- Maybe introduce some colour into the type

this link brings back memories from my cardiff days butt :)

womanby street cardiff - Google Maps

Blue looks better but red will sell.

Red & White are the most powerful selling colours possible.

Back