Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blockbuster!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Stationery Direct, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

I love films and don't have Sky, so was always renting from my local Blockbuster. Unfortunately it shut down recently so now there is literally nowhere in my Town to rent films from. So I was looking online for sites that stream and recently I have been using Blinkbox (a Tesco owned venture) which is pretty good to be fair.

What astounded me was that Blockbuster do not stream films at all!! They actually still send you a physical DVD in the post the next day which you then have to return, hardly 'on-demand', WTF are they playing at as a company? Streaming is the way to go and they are in prime position to roll this out, if they leave it too long they will be another company down the toilet as everyone will stream in the near future.

Do you guys use any similar sites for streaming films??

2. chrismorr

chrismorr New Member

Same thing happened Xtra vision in Ireland (not sure about the mainland, or even if yous have it?), nobody could really be bothered going down to the shop to pick, much easier to read about it on the internet then stream/download it, plus there is no way blockbuster could compete with price!

HMV are the same, they offer little to no online availability of music or movies, sure you have Itunes, but why not combine the 2 so customers can download and buy films/music all in one place.

My friend had netflix on his xbox and it seemed pretty good, but it wasn't long released in the UK and had mostly American shows available, which wasn't bad as a lot were never shown here.

3. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

I've been using Lovefilm for years, but every now and then you get a disc covered in fingerprints, so I may try their Instant service, which might be what you're after. I'd be worried
    about my crappy Sky broadband though, so I guess I'd have to download?

4. Stationery Direct

Yeah I had netflix (lovefilm is just the same) for a while but it's not for newly released films, I used it for Dexter, Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad, other than those it's pretty crap to be fair. I just think the whole DVD in the post is sooooo old fashioned and the companies with just that business model better think forward sharpish. Yes people will need a decent broadband service but I think most handle streaming films nowadays...

5. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

I had no idea Blockbuster was still alive? I thought the online world killed them off last year. Lovefilm and Netflix seem to be the most popular. I don't use any though.

6. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

We've been using Solarmovie .. streaming for free. Obviously some links are awful, but most are pretty good. I think Solarmovie has closed down now though, and havn't found a new free streaming site yet. :(

But you're right. It always amazed me that Blockbuster never had an online streaming facility. Supermarkets started out making money with great big halls filled with food. Now a high percentage of their profit comes from home deliveries. It's no wonder Blockbuster went under. :crazy:

7. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

I don't watch many films but took Sky Movies because it was a couple of quid when chucked in with life's essential channels (Sky Sports). If I am in the mood for a movie I can usually find something on there. Plus you get (pretty much) brand new films through the Sky Movies Box Office service and have used that a couple of times. Although I've heard good things about Netflix and the rest I can't help feeling that the UK's broadband infrastructure isn't up to the job and I'd find it very annoying!

Agree about Blockbuster, I mean they can't say they didn't see it coming. Like HMV, they could have a decent share of the MP3 market by now...

8. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

It's kind of sad when highstreet stores like Blockbuster close, but at the same time, if they're sticking to an out-dated business model that's only used by a minority of the market, it's no surprise they get destroyed. It's an adapt or die world.

I'm not much of a streamer. I actually still buy physical DVDs from HMV, though I'm actually astounded they haven't gone under just due to their prices. I wouldn't pay £15 for a DVD 10 years ago and I certainly won't now.

9. Stationery Direct

It seems that Blockbuster UK has gone into administration for the second time this year with the last 300 stores being closed in the US. A reminder for us all to move with the times!

10. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

I don't know why big movie/tv companies don't take the advantage of all the technology they have at their disposal, and all the money they've generated!

What is really happening is companies like Netflix, Blinkbox etc are stepping in and providing streaming services and people are buying them.

But what's still happening in the background as with before (I still remember the "van" that came around our estate renting bootleg VHS/DVD) - people are ripping off the films and distributing them for free on torrent sites.

Clearly this is disadvantageous to the Parent "film" company as now they have 3rd party sites taking a lick of their products, and people still distributing the bootlegs.

Why don't these megacorporates put together an awesome streaming service for say £2 a month.

With this they could offer very exclusive behind the scenes, actor interviews, and all that added content that DVDs and more offer.

Even interactive games (with advertising) and all that shabooose.

They could run competitions for exclusive extravagant VIP access to Red Carpet events, all the way to free years subscriptions and all these things.

There's already an infrastructure in place, they just need to capitalise on it.

I just don't get it - they put out a film - and people rip them off and it's given out for free at a lower quality.

They {film industry} moan about the industry being ripped off and go through lengthy court proceedings that are costly and time consuming.

What they should be doing is making a service that is unparallelled to anything on offer that they can only provide.

3rd party sites would be ok. Bootlegger numbers would dwindle.

Consumers would be happy.

11. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

People would probably still pirate films and download them. Piracy has become so easy and socially acceptable that it's hard for people to realise that it's wrong, plus they tend to find a reason why it's acceptable for them to do it, even though they know it's wrong.

"Well, I wouldn't see it in the cinema or buy it on DVD so the company isn't really losing any money. I'll just download it."

This would probably be the case if your suggestion happened...

"£10 a month? Too expensive, I'll just download it."

"£2 a month? Well it's so cheap that it's hardly worth paying it, I'll just download it.

I did a fair bit of research into film piracy for a uni brief. The brief asked for a campaign that "stopped" film piracy (practically impossible at the present), but I came to the conclusion that what the industry really needs is a change of business model like you suggested. Perhaps it's too late though.

12. hankscorpio

Well exactly!

It's become such a social thing now that the grey area is gone.

But I feel a stop fighting the fight and start rewarding those who comply is a much more fanciable model.

I use Netflix - so does that mean it's ok for me to Pirate the film because it's going to be on Netflix anyway, and I'm already paying for it????

Where is the line?

Whereas if Hollywood put all the big and small movie producers under an umbrella organisation - divied out videos for streaming for a small fee.

I'd pay for it.

Heck, if it was free and it streamed adverts at the bottom or side to generate revenue I'd use the free version!

We are already familiar with that from Youtube, dailymotion and others.

I might even pay a premium for a movie that has just left the Cinema but not yet in shops, or on 3rd Party.

Steam/Valve and other online gamers have made a pretty neat and very strict interface for buying/playing games.

I'd welcome a system to stream the latest movies/tv shows instead of enduring months waiting for a tv show to start or even days, or a day.

I'd pay for it.

13. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

Surely not! If this is/was the case, that would be pure ignorance.

I have always hoped a 'Home Cinema' service would one day come into effect. It would literally do what is says on the tin, charge cinema ticket priced fees to be able to stream movies at home, lets say a week after new cinema releases? It would be a great help for this issue and would also be ideal for disabled people and the elderly that are unable to get to the cinema.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  14. hankscorpio

We live in hope!

15. Kim

Kim New Member

I just use Netflix to stream movies, although I've pretty much watched everything on there now ha.