Bleed problem. Image on the edge of the page

mar_qlc

Hello,
I would like to ask something about bleed that I can't seem to find a clear answer no matter how much I search. I created a document for print in InDesign and I set up 3 mm bleed. I want to put an image that will end on the edge of the page, without having white border. Wherever I searched, I found that I have to extend the image until the bleed line, so all the way until within the bleed area. Doesn't this mean that I will lose 3 mm of the information of my picture? I want to keep the picture to the edge of the page (with no white border) and not lose any information from the picture. How is this possible? Thank you. Any information would be useful.

The way it works for professional printing is that when you say get 100 copies of your book printed, or a 1000 or 10000 copies printed - the pages are not cut individually.

They are stacked piles high of all the pages in your book.

3mm bleed ensures that when you stack 100s or 1000s of sheets of paper on top of each other, should 1 page have shifted slightly in that pile, maybe 1 mm - and another shifts the other way perhaps 1mm too.

That when the guillotine cuts to the trim marks that there's an allowance for this shift, and ensures that you do not get slivers of white on the edge of a sheet.

The guillotine as you can see is a huge mechanical machine - so 3 mm accounts for any movemen in the mechanical process.

The only way to ensure you don't get a bad trim is to ensure you have 3mm bleed. Which means you lose 3mm of your image. If you want the whole image and not lose anything, then you can't have it go to the edge of the page.

The only way around this would be open the file and increase the size of the canvas by 3mm all around, then add in extra image data all around the 3mm, meaning that if you put it in the bleed area, then you are only trimming off the area of image that you added yourself.

As Wardy says.

When I've had similar issues you can sometimes, depending on the image add a bit to is using the clone tool or whatever.

Thanks a lot for your responses. This is what I was trying to do, extend the background a bit so in case something goes wrong, it will not show. But sometimes, the picture is busier and it's more difficult to do it. I am just starting in graphic design, so I wanted to know a more professional advice. Thanks a lot again for your responses.

Back