Blame game...

hankscorpio

Staff member
Well, sent a job off outside for printing due to capacity issues. Sent it out, and got a proof back. I looked it over and seemed to be ok. And okayed it. Only realised this morning that they scaled it up to A2 size, which they did mention in their proof email, but I didn't spot it.

I emailed them first thing this morning to point out that they shouldn't have scaled the artwork. And they are pointing back to my go ahead to proceed. Basically I sent them the correct size artwork and they scaled it for no reason. I accept I didn't read the email fully, but I didn't expect anyone to change the artwork, or the size of it.

Now they are going to reprint it, but I have to pay half of the reprint in a 50/50 compromise.

A bit miffed with their attitude. A bit miffed with myself for missing it in the email proof....

Basically, I don't think I should have to pay anything, as they changed the artwork, not me.

I think 50/50 is fair on this, no they shouldn't have made the changes but they made you aware that they did and as you know once signed off really there is no getting out of it. Hope it wasn't too costly...

Only a couple of hundred. I'm furious though, it's not the first time they did this. Usually I just open the proof and check the content. We've told them before to never alter the artwork we send. Yet here we are again.

The proper course of action was to reply to the email and say, hey you asked for this but supplied this, which is correct.

Not to do the work, hide that information in an email.

It was never stated to resize any artwork. Why did this is beyond me? There was never an instruction to alter the artwork.

I'll be honest if this has happened before then yes I would be furious that they have done the same thing again, but also I would have double checked to make sure. Were you ordering A2, is that why it was scaled because you sent smaller artwork?

It's a difficult one where really both are at fault to some extent, I think 50/50 is the only fair solution and going forward if you decide to use them again triple check, better still send your order to me ;-)

What?! Am I missing something? Why would/should you pay them an extra penny for making alterations you did not request? That's on them. Yes, you gave them the go ahead, but would not of expected it to be scaled on their own accord. Imagine if you have dozens of proofs to check through, it's an easy thing to miss especially when you are not expecting it. If you provide dimensions for print, it is perfectly reasonable to assume they will stick to those instructions, they have no reason not to. Surely it is not professional for a printer to change the size of work they have been asked to print, unless requested to by the customer.

If this has happened before with these printers, maybe it's what they do to make a few extra buck; make slight alterations to their customers artwork that can be easily overlooked in order to charge extra to follow the actual instructions of their customers.

I'll argue with them on it. And they won't get away with this again.

It was the cover for a book, clearly a book cover. And they have gone and printed it A2 size. It wasn't a book for a novelty comedy act like.

Stupidity on their part. But I feel like a gobshite for not checking. And I usually check, but you can't do it all all of the time.

I'll be honest if this has happened before then yes I would be furious that they have done the same thing again, but also I would have double checked to make sure. Were you ordering A2, is that why it was scaled because you sent smaller artwork?

It's a difficult one where really both are at fault to some extent, I think 50/50 is the only fair solution and going forward if you decide to use them again triple check, better still send your order to me ;-)

To be honest, they should have asked before altering, not the other way around.

Good thing this wasn't a bigger job. I'm going to have a word with them once I have calmed.

Funny enough, and I think I made a thread about this that you replied to, the same thing happened to me a couple months ago; client went to collect a proof of his book, and the cover was printed like an inch larger than the book itself. It wasn't even attached to the book because of the size difference o_O

Admittedly you missed the upscale but they shouldn't have done that in the first place... I wouldn't be happy with 50/50 personally as they didn't follow the original client order. You can't just go and change something as major as paper size, it's like changing the colour of the statue of liberty in a magazine print

It was the cover for a book, clearly a book cover. And they have gone and printed it A2 size. It wasn't a book for a novelty comedy act like.

I thought maybe you had supplied A3 artwork and they scaled to A2 because you had ordered A2 posters for example. What was their reason behind the upscale?

Back