Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackberry Playbook

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by mrp2049, Sep 29, 2010.

1. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

2. saw this myself.. looks really interesting.. still want an iPad though LOL

3. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I was looking at an article about these yesterday.
    Levi will love it.

The jury is still out for me....but I love love my Apple stuff.

4. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Got it in one I think...

Higher tech specs, but running some odd OS that hasn't been used yet, sorted alot of things I would love on an iPad (v2 will probably have them)

But if it costs £600 for the base model, there is no real incentive to buy one instead of the iPad, £350-400 and It'd get interesting for people who spend the time to choose there products

5. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

If they get it right, there is no reason it won't be as good as the ipad.

6. tim

tim Senior Member

looks quite nice tbh, but again no real competitor to ipad.

not because it doesnt have features, but because the first thing they said was "this is a business device". so that shuts a lot of people out, people want independence with their tablets in work and at home, especially for £500.

at least there's a 3rd competitor, being an android os isn't designed for a 7-10" display it's good to have something that tries to push the other companies standards up.

7. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

balckberry always push the 'business device' thing, whilst I agree with the idea, it hasn't stopped loads of people getting them!

If the ipad2 does half the things the ipad1 is missing, then it wont be a problem and I think the competition will boil down to cost.

Personally it has taken 4 iphones to get the design right. So it will be a matter of time before I consider buying anything like this, unless someone wants to flog me one for silly money.

8. Thewholehogg

any one for Zune?

9. thats such a nasty swear word LOL

It would be so funny if we set Zune as a swear word on DF so it would come through as Z**e LOL

10. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I'm sure levi will have figured out how to install windows mobile on an ipad soon enough!

11. that would be a Cackintosh LOL

12. Thewholehogg

Zune that!

13. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Well not completely, it's only 7" display, it's fine for a larger ipod touch and if the rumoured 7" ipad is widescreen (or ipod touch aspect) then I may be tempted instead of a touch.

I do quite like the look of the os on it and the specs seem more than enough, they then go and ruin it with a 7" display, give me 10" god damn it!

I still feel that 10" widescreen is the best option (at least for me) and I would still prefer a full os (hell even linux would be fine) if I'm paying netbook prices. If they can get the price to sub £250 then I'll happily settle on a 'web os' or a mobile os - I'm not interested in mobile connections only want wifi.

I'll have a 3.7-4.3" phone on me most of the time so 7" isn't really worth it.

Curious to see what tablet optimised android (froyo isn't tablet optimised) and palm os's devices look like before deciding on which approach I'll take. I'm willing to wait till I get the perfect device or as close as possible :)

14. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

The apple fanboys wont like it as it's not apple but seems decent from a quick look.

15. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Sub £250 when phones cost £400+ for anything really decent?

16. Levi

if they can do a netbook for 200 with windows licensing then doing a touchscreen tablet (touchscreen costs about 10 quid over non touchscreen) with an os that doesn't have licensing costs shouldn't be an issue.

And thats using intel atom processors, there's cheaper options out there and that includes arm based cpus (snapdragon, tegra2, marvel etc)

Mobile phones are severely overpriced outside of contract too

17. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Oh, I agree completely, but while they sell PAYG expensive phones, they won't drop the price as there will be a supply/demand thing going on (after all the ipad sold enough at that price)

18. Levi

yeah the ipad may have sold at it's current prices but then apple do have their *cough* fans.

You'd also be suprised how little these high end phones cost to manufacture, lets just say the phone companies aren't making a loss even on 18month contracts.

19. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

20. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member