Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Friday......WTF!?!?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by scotty, Nov 28, 2014.

1. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Just been watching some vid's on FB about the "Black Friday" hysteria.

I have to admit that yesterday I though Black Friday was something else completely and not just the retail industry stealing another Americanism for profit.

Looking at how people have acted in the search for a bargain totally scares the crap out of me.
    It's like the threat of the first snow flurry of the year sets people into a milk and bread buying frenzy like the end of the world was about to happen.

I SO dread to think what would happen if there were any kind of real emergency or anything.
  2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Don't worry it's on all weekend in some stores... then you've got cyber Monday on Monday.

People seem to be buying into the 'cheap prices' when 90% of the stuff is getting rid of 'old stock' and ignoring all normal reasoning. Having said that stores could be a little more organised, this isn't the first year that this has run in the UK
  3. gcol90

gcol90 Junior Member

I bought some new trainers. They weren't part of black Friday. This is me sticking it to the man.
  4. GilmoreVisuals

GilmoreVisuals Active Member

All because of globalization and Americanization (as is my spelling I think...)

I don't mind it - just a bit more entertainment to talk about with friends.
  5. gcol90

gcol90 Junior Member

I just missed out on a Logitech MX Performance mouse on Amazon :(
  6. I don't remember this last year.... I'm happy with it all really, if it means we get access to cheaper items. You do have to know what you're buying though, as has been mentioned older models etc can be an issue.
    GilmoreVisuals likes this.
  7. gcol90

gcol90 Junior Member

I remember Cyber Monday last year, I think it was called. I've known about Black Friday being an American thing for a few years, but usually theirs is just the one day. Our version seems to he lasting a few days. I still don't get why our version is "Black Friday", though. I thought it was linked to Thanksgiving. Something we don't have.
  8. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I remember it at some level for the last 5 years, although it wasn't quite as popular in town shops, they've now cottoned on to the idea to shift old/rubbish stock. The sales of good or new stock isn't really that much different to normal from what I'm seeing, Amazon have been making the deals look better by showing the discount from rrp when in fact you're only saving a few extra quid lol

Gareth, the reason it's called Black Friday is because the name/sale filtered over to the UK from the US so it was an easy term to use
  9. iDesign

iDesign Member

It makes me laugh how just the day before Black Friday in America, they were sat around a table being thankful for what they have and not 24 hours later they're tearing each other apart just to get a cheap TV that they probably don't need. And as for here in the UK - anyone would think we're facing a zombie apocalypse with the final rations of food being held in a select number Walmart Asda stores :)