Bitmap

Credendum

Hi guys, not only am I new to DF, but I'm also fairly new to design and print as a whole. I was wondering, in order to say have a photo printed in one colour on a t-shirt, would a Bitmap image work/come out alright?

This probably seems a little dumb, but I'm learning and just trying to find out the do's and don'ts etc.

Cheers guys.

It will depend on the printing company as to what filetypes you need to use so best to find that out first. Realistically a BMP/JPEG/PNG/PDF should all be accepted though.

It's not a dumb question, however, if you're struggling for answers at this stage then I'm wondering if you should do a little bit more learning before jumping into design. There's a lot more to design than making things look pretty and even more when it comes to running your own design business, regardless of whether that's as a freelancer or not.

Hey Credendum. I run a screen print shop and we get sent all sorts of different files and images to try and work with so I wouldn't worry too much. Squiddy is right though, BMP, JPEG, PNG and PSD are the main ones you should be trying to send.

If you've got any designs already completed, drop me an email and I can point you in the right direction and give you a quote.

Good luck.

Squiddy said:
...I'm wondering if you should do a little bit more learning...

That's exactly what I want to do. If you know of any websites, books or anything else that you think could be useful from illustration, the print process, design as a whole, type, anything, then i'd be grateful for any input. I find it difficult with the fact that i don't know anyone who is a designer to talk to about different things, so i just have to find stuff as i go along. So ANYTHING would be most appreciated; i'm hungry to learn more and more!

in my opinion you will learn more doing a course at your local college than trying to learn purely through books. So my advice go have a chat with the local college/your teachers at school (no age was mentioned) about the courses available that support design

In my opinion you can learn a lot more learning independently, away from bureaucratic institutions that target the average. My advice to you would be that if you are certain that this is what you want to do in life, have the self discipline to educate yourself as well as the knowledge and determination to get what you need in order to succeed then forget about college. If you don't, then by all means choose the safe and less efficient option as it will get you further than attempting to go it alone without the required attributes.

This is 2012, there is an incomprehensible amount of high quality information freely available over the internet and it is in fact how I have learnt everything to do with design so far. I also didn't know anyone even loosely connected to design but I have now met a host of people who I can converse and work with on a regular basis.

Why don't you tell us a bit more about yourself, I'd love to help you further but in order to do that I need to know a bit more about you in order to provide the best advice.

I still feel you will learn stuff faster directly from a tutor than trying to find a good tutorial... yes theres a lot of info out there but not all of it's good

That depends on how well you can cope with independent learning. You will learn much faster with a personally tailored education which you simply can't get from a regular college.

As I said though, you need a specific skill set to make it work, it's certainly not for everyone.

As much as i'd like to do a course, finding one that gets right to the point i feel is something that wouldn't happen, plus i don't really have the time in an evening (I have a full-time job) to be able to set a specific day and time to attend a course. I have time to develop my skills, but sometimes it will be a Tuesday night from 7pm sometimes it will be a Saturday morning, so that's not great for attending classes.

A bit about myself. I started as a bit of a mess about on GIMP about a year and a half ago, I enjoyed using it, but realised that to really get into designing and to be able to do higher quality things i'd need photoshop, so just under a year ago i got photoshop - so i've not been doing it that long. I've also got illustrator and love doing illustrations too.

As much as photominipulations are fun and great to look at, it doesn't really help in learning design. So what i'd like to know where/what to look for and at. I think tutorials are good because it's not just about how to produce the final piece, it's about the methods and skills set that you get and are able to take away.

It's something i'm passionate about and really want to up my skills. Whether or not i'll ever be good enough to get into professional designing is something only time will tell, but i'm going to have a good try and do my best to get to that point.

As i said before, any help, direction or any good books or websites would be much appreciated. You guys are far more experienced than me and i value that and know you'll know what's good.

Thanks again.

Back