Biography / Photography layout

Feep

Please tell me what you think and don't be afraid about being harsh. If liked I will get it coded.
photographytempcopycopy.jpg

Remove "Watermark" before posting on here, we're not going to steal it.

On your logo its very jaggered and not acceptable, if its a font make sure its still in vector format in photoshop and change the style to "smooth" if you've cut it out you need to smooth it, duplicate the layer and add a slight blurr to the underneith one. (bit of a bodge)

I dont like the tape effect, it doesnt look realistic and what is it supposed to be stuck to? if it was a wooden background or a pin board fair enough, but surely its the sky?

The text is centre aligned? - why?! Make it left and change the line height to 190% or similar.

How is the background going to work for different resolutions?

"lifes a bitch and then you die" superb branding. Really just superb..... I actually had to check it wasnt April 1st when I saw this.

I dont think its worth making the changes because it still wont be very exciting but if your in love with the design it'll at least improve.

Are your sure that you want to cetre line your body copy, it looks a little strange. Also try to get rid of the hyphons and play with the length of the text box and the point size/leading needs work as it feels very cramped . . .

I know that these things are small and technical but at the moment the information is quite hard to read. . . and looks very clumsy.

The poloroid navigation with the hand writting typeface is also not doing the design any favours. But thats my personal opinion, maybe it is right for Phil.

Cheers, Vanya

Cheers for the feedback guys.
And I've taken into acount what you have said. I'm awear the design isn't perfect but as i'm new to this I think I want to progress and improve.
photographytempcopy.jpg

I basically agree with br3n.

The 'life is a bitch and then you die' bit is just plain wrong, no self respecting business brands itself with that sort of comment. I'm assuming that br3n's comment about april fools was more in relation to thinking it was a joke rather than a serious idea, clearly this isn't the case with the second image.

I'm not sure what relevance the background has and theres the scaling issues as mentioned.

The main block text just seems too blocked together and maybe theres too much there too.

my question is what does the boot represent? It seems to be a bit lost... :) welcome to the forum by the way Feep :)

Levi said:
I basically agree with br3n.

The 'life is a bitch and then you die' bit is just plain wrong, no self respecting business brands itself with that sort of comment. I'm assuming that br3n's comment about april fools was more in relation to thinking it was a joke rather than a serious idea, clearly this isn't the case with the second image.

I'm not sure what relevance the background has and theres the scaling issues as mentioned.

The main block text just seems too blocked together and maybe theres too much there too.
Yeah I noticed his slight sarcasm. Well It's not going to be a business, just a biography site something for me to mess about on. The text is there just to give an idea of what it will look. And ill take into consideration what you said

chrismitchell said:
my question is what does the boot represent? It seems to be a bit lost... :) welcome to the forum by the way Feep :)
Thanks for the warm welcoming :)
Well, I was thinking maybe 'still life' and I guess it just kind of came from there.

Cheers for the feed back guys +rep if I can that is. not really use to this forum yet xD

Hey feep I like the fact you've taken onboard whats been said and yes everyone must start somewhere. Just a quick note on the body text - in photoshop you want to render body text with no style but headings with smooth, as you can see the heading graphic looks much nicer but the body text a bit blurry from the anti aliasing - browsers wont really smooth it out much so better to use none/normal to get an idea of how it'll actually look.

More importantly I'd like to hear what you think about the design? Point out what you think is wrong and we'll help you come up with some concepts/improvements. - Its better to understand the reasons behind changes rather than just doing them.

br3n said:
More importantly I'd like to hear what you think about the design? Point out what you think is wrong and we'll help you come up with some concepts/improvements. - Its better to understand the reasons behind changes rather than just doing them.
I can see exacly what you mean how it has become blury. I think maybe my main flaw is my un-experiance. I'm full of ideas but when it comes to 'putting the pen to the paper' they are limited.

I was looking at your work and there wasn't a single piece I didn't like.

Thanks feep :) at the end of the day its the ideas that matter, you can learn the tools but you cant learn to be creative. Let us know what your trying to achieve and we'll help you create it.

Body text would take down a point or 2 and increase line height to space lines out slightly.

For me menu does not stand out enough if i am honest.

Back