Big Cartel Ecommerce

Hey mate,

I have had a few people who have used Big Cartel. It is very good at a simple shop but if you have any aspiration then you will quickly outgrow it.

Recently Magento has created a hosted version of their software which i think is a good option Magento Go - Hosted eCommerce for Small and Emerging Merchants

Magento can be a little bit harder to get started with but will have everything you will ever need. You can also more readily get templates at places like Magento - eCommerce - ThemeForest

In summary Big Cartel will be a good place to start but expect to upgrade later.

I do this stuff for a living so let me know if you need any help.

Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for the link. I am looking into that now. I have lots of good things about Magento, but if they are providing a more affordable service to suit smaller businesses with ecommerce then even better.

I take your point about outgrowing the store, it wouldn't be in anyone's interest in having to start over again!

There obviously seems a lot more to the Magento setup, do you have to have merchant account in place do you know? Or able to use just Paypal instead?

And in fact the monthly pricing plan is cheaper than Big Cartel...

I think a lot of it will depend on how savvy your clients are and gauging how easy they'd find it to work with on a day to day level (unless you'd be managing adding new lines etc too). Friend of mine is a jewellery designer and works with Big Cartel over any others due to ease of use. Think she has been been frustrated by the level of customisation in some areas but not enough to switch over.

Back