Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bickering much?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by glenwheeler, Feb 3, 2010.

1. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I've not been on the forums much lately and find it pretty hard to find 10 minutes here and there at the moment but I came across a thread tonight/this morning which can be found here.

http://www.designforums.co.uk/work-project-feedback-critique/4365-99designs-logo-entry-3.html

I found it quite...."ggeeezzzeee" whats happening lol? So much bickering and picking and no great advice until I saw Onartis drop some decent info in on page 3 of the thread. At the end of the day the forum is for a helpful community right? Along with the laugh's and the jokes yes but that thread was just not what i expected reading through it was a headache

2. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

3. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Shall I cut and paste my ramble here too?

4. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

You're right Glen, this is a place where we can come for honest and constructive, but sincere critique. Unfortunately I think Mo might have taken some too personally and that would have been one thing but I can't understand why he wanted to attack the one whose opinions he didn't like.

At his age, there is nothing wrong with him entering 99Designs so much, but I think the majority was questioning them(99Designs) in their criteria. Mo's work was not that bad, but possibly their criteria is not so strict? making it so that Mo somehow found it easy to win so much. Also he did on more then one occasion ask for honest opinions, as Ralph has shown, most critique, of which he took on the chin in stride. But the last one, was just too much I suppose.:(

At the end of the day, not much can be done I suppose. I think Mo will be okay, but only if he gets a little more diversity in his designs you think?

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi Glen,

Fully understand your opinions on this, unfortunately I didn't see the thread sooner, you're right DF is about being a helpful community, but there's only so many times we can keep repeating the same debate.

I've closed the thread, and taken the decision to ban Mo, as a result of his insulting language towards another members work, from the sounds of it it didn't sound like he would be back anytime soon in any case.

I'll be posting some guidelines for work critique threads, to encourage people to post information about the design brief and the context of the work, as we seem to be constantly getting random bits of work posted with no surrounding information, which leads to threads running off-topic and random.

As ever, I'm trying my best to run DF based on how I see things, if anyone has anything else to contribute to this issue please drop me a PM.

Thanks,
    Greg

6. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Glad to see your on the ball Greg...keep 'em in line.

7. tim

tim Senior Member

mo did that to me with another member like 2 months ago, nothing happened :p

8. Greg

Greg Active Member

DF seems to be a lot like baseball in that respect...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-S-eeInJVk[/YOUTUBE]

9. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Hay if Gregs late to this party I'm mega late as I take it an entire page got deleted as Mohammed's last post to me didn't seem like a banning offense, maybe I'm wrong and it's only a 2 page thread and Glen says 3.

I do totally agree with you Glen and one of the reasons I stick around DF when I can is because other forums are dominated by members who have been on there for 6,7 or 8 years plus and what they say goes or you get slated for having a constructive opinion or being able to out code them, where as on DF I will take anyone's opinion be it a 13 year old boy, a boy with a 8 year olds mentality, and take them on board to improve my work be it if I respond to a post or not and it feels more like a community where everyones equal to me anyway.

But from the first page alone to me ~
    That's a fair point IMO.

Again not bad advice.

Again not bad, even though it is a contest and it may need to actually be a penguin for that reason.

Again not bad and provides a relevant alternative for Mo to consider.

Again IMO another good point.

Now that's good. If it was my work I would have read it taken myself away and then reread it TBH as no one likes negative comments about their work, but you need those kind of comments to get you out of the friends and family critique mentality really.

Obviously I missed page 2 but if that was my work, I would have been okay maybe the wrong kind of Penguin then, lets try and African Penguin or a parrot that ppl in South Africa would relate more to. Take on board the scale issue and hopefully make another design that I could then show as well as the one I've done, put both in my portfolio and let the client chose for the contest.

So I do think it was fair and enough constructive critisim was given, maybe your referring to page 2 in which case forgive me. :)

Jaz

10. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Last time I posted in that topic there were 4 pages. I summed up this entire topic in one sentence but Greg edited it out :p

11. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi Jaz,

A lot of posts were removed as being entirely off-topic, and some posts edited, so afraid you're no longer getting the complete picture on that side of things.

Thanks,
    Greg

12. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

If you can't take the Crit get out of the Crit-chen.

:D

13. TomStutt

TomStutt Senior Member

lol @Tom

14. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

[​IMG]

15. *chloe

*chloe Junior Member

not been here long, but in every forum you are going to have arguements and bickering.
    Im not sure how i feel about the editing and deleting of posts tho, but you guys know whats best for the forum, so i respect your decision.

16. br3n

br3n Senior Member

is now a good time to say pwnd?

17. tim

tim Senior Member

no but it is a good time to use:

[​IMG]

(th4nks br3n)

18. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Oh I LIKE that...nice:clap:

19. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

I have found the whole thing terribly un-british. :p

20. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

After being the voice of reason, I derailed it all by talking about Zombies....I tried my best to be the responsible one, it lasted 2 posts!