Best place to study?

xxx

Hi,

I have recently graduated with a BA in photography, but would like to pursue a career in graphic design. I wanted to know the best way to go about this, I've read all the threads on here with similar questions so have some sort of idea, but wanted to ask again myself to see if anyone has any more information.

I am competent in photoshop, and am aware I need to learn to work in InDesign and Illustrator.
I feel like I have a lot to learn, but have always had a creative mind and interest in design.
As much as I would love to do a BA in graphic design and spend 3 years learning, I don't have the money or time to do so.

The options so far seem to be

- Shillington college, which seems to have mixed reviews on here. From what I can see they teach you the skills but no theory? and possibly not enough skills as well to justify such a high price

- an HNC in graphic design, which would be a year. Does anyone have any experience doing a similar course?

-an HND or FdA in graphic design, which would be 2 years and very expensive

-London uni of arts have short courses on graphic design that come in 3 modules. Does anyone have any experience of these that they could share? or alternatively any experience of their short courses on the adobe suite?

From what I know a good portfolio is more important than a degree on a CV, I just want to know the best way to go about acquiring the skills to build a portfolio.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you !!!

From what I know a good portfolio is more important than a degree on a CV, I just want to know the best way to go about acquiring the skills to build a portfolio.

I'd concur - as someone who hires designers. I guess a portfolio and skills come through doing stuff, facing challenges and keeping up with what's new. There's no 1 stop solution - it's an accumulation of activity. For what it's worth, there is so much available online you don't have to go to an institution. However maybe institutions suit some people's learning patterns.

yeah, your portfolio will make or break you as far as getting a job with a design agency or working as a freelancer. you can build your portfolio yourself by producing "fake" design briefs from clients and completing them, this is how I created a lot of my student work, I would invent a brief from Pepsi for a new website site etc... If you are going to pick a uni-course maybe pick on that gets you a work placement and in a city that has a strong design base, London, Manchester etc..

Back