Best opensource CMS?

I'm just getting used to the whole world of CMS' and I prefer Wordpress already.

And on a more shallow point, it doesn't sound as stupid as Joomla.

I think at some point Wordpress will become just as much a CMS as a publishing platform.

I read somewhere (but I can't find the link) that they didn't really have a full understanding of the amount of people using it as a CMS and they were starting to sit up and take more notice in that area. It can only be a good thing.

mrleesimpson said:
I read somewhere (but I can't find the link) that they didn't really have a full understanding of the amount of people using it as a CMS and they were starting to sit up and take more notice in that area. It can only be a good thing.

I think you can begin to see this mindset coming in with small additions in the latest versions with the admin setup becoming clearer on how to create content through writing new posts and pages, and editing the content. As well as small touches like the static home page option that was originally a plugin becoming a standard option in the interface. Look forward to seeing them develop new features to help WP become a more all round CMS :)

I have to go with wordpress. I've tried Joomla, DruPal, and some other one that only had one page of code (which obviously wasn't any good...can't remember what it was called.) Firerift sounds amazing in theory. I've been messing with Wordpress templates forevs and would love to just be able to develop and then plug in what I want where I want it without hassling with the plethora of WP's other (with due credit: amazing) options.

Just a thought: Do you think Firerift has a fighting chance against Wordpress with it's huge following (of plugins, add-ons, themes, devoted fanboys)?

Wordpress after a long journey through ASP dot net nuke - joomala - drupal. Expression engine is good too but can be a little harder to master in 6 months time I may be saying Expression Engine. But of course there is a cost with it.

the best part of wordpress is the free modules just about anything you need to keep you away from getting dirty on the code.

The problem I have with CMS's, free or paid for is that they're loaded with too many features - as soon as you sit a client in front of them, they haven't a clue what to do.

From what I've seen of Joomla!, Wordpress, Expression Engine and various others, they all suffer from this - thats part of the reason why I still make bespoke cms's - unless I'm running a blog and then its Wordpress.

I love the idea of these CMS's but I'm yet to actually fall in love with one.

NoVolume said:
The problem I have with CMS's, free or paid for is that they're loaded with too many features - as soon as you sit a client in front of them, they haven't a clue what to do.

Do you develop in Rails?

You might want to try Radient CMS. Its a very small compact CMS system that allows you and clients to manage multiple sites, its not got anything you don't need.

You will need a server that runs the Rails Engine though.

Hey all,

I have to say i quite like umbraco as a complex CMS or cms made simple which is really easy to use.

I am just developing a site in cms made simple and for the first time using it I am finding it fairly pain free.

Umbraco is a different story it's such a complex beast, but fantastic for what it does. V4 is due out at the end of the year and promises to be even better.

Personally I have to say i tried to do a site in wordpress and hated it. I can understand that once you've done a few its easier, but I just wasn't happy with it.

I'm starting a project soon using vbdrupal which should be interesting i think.

Do you think firerift will ever launch its been weeks since it was supposed to be launched. If it does everything it says on the tin it could be really good, but I think the developer may have bitten off more than he can chew, but i guess time will tell.

T

Ive tried Wordpress and think its absolutely great...for blogs. Yes, with some hard editing it can be made excellent for a standard website CMS too but recently I came across NanoCMS and I wont look back.

Nano CMS is the tinyest CMS you can find around...:)
The user interface and the functionality are very very simple and easy to use.
NanoCMS is filebased, so no database blah,. Easy to install

Through this CMS you can create pages without actually touching any code.
You can manage website pages very easily and the links in the sidebar are generated automatically...

If you dont like the design it is very easy to make / port / integrate new designs also...

^^^That is taken from the NanoCMS website and none of it is a lie! Design your website as normal in photoshop or however you do it, then code your first page and first page only with no content. Add in the snippets of code and upload the right files to your server and your done. Create pages, add a wysiwyg editor for the text and insertion of images. You can also create pages that cannot be edited through the CMS, for instance a cotnact form.

I think its brilliant...others may not agree!

Have to agree with the majority - WordPress is definitely the best out there. It has a massive community with tons of plugins and can be converted to do more advanced features.

Also, looking from a client's point of view (which is the most important), WP is so much easier to use than any other CMS. Joomla, and Drupal are just too complicated for most clients who just want to update their website! I've tried and tested over 20 CMS in the last year or so and WordPress comes top ... followed by Expression Engine - but that's not open source :)

Loads out there. My business has experimented with most already mentioned. We now develop using ModX - very adaptable, fully accessible and clients seem to be manage using it!!!

Wow nice to see all these replies about CMS, I myself normally write my own depending on the project i am working on. My most recent project The Hub is powered by the small but powerful Frog CMS. I have tried a few CMS out there and i will say out of the box you probably won't get the best result most of the time. Tweaking is necessary.

Oh and there is no best opensource CMS, they all play different role. For a blog you could roll out one very quickly with Wordpress compared to Modx, while for a normal website Modx would be ahead of wordpress since templating and page structuring is easier to do within Modx.

Yeah Wordpress is great, but only really for blogs. I've had minimal experience with drupal and joomla, but the one thing that really bugs me with these is that it's quite hard to produce a standards compliant website with them (AFAIK!).

MODX is defo the best one I've used, especially with its ditto plug in.

I think Drupal has a ton of great features, but it may be overkill for smaller scale projects. Wordpress is nice as well.

Joomla is great one I workked with extensively in the past. Bit of a learning curve, but nowhere near as weird as Drupal.

I ued to use Joomla! 'till I got my custom CMS. I think Joomla is too hard for clients to understand, if they're not too computer-savvy..

Back