Best multi-user cloud sharing?

BeckyJane

I've been asked by my client if there is an ideal asset management system that would work for them. It would be for storing/up- and downloading shareable assets such as photography, ads, point of sale etc.
It would need to be secure, multi-user and importantly, something from which you can see previews of images. I know there are a few cloud storage systems out there, but not sure of the pros and cons. Does anyone have any experience/advice on this?

Thanks Paul - that looks really good! I have passed on your recommendation. box.com would probably be best for us, as this is for an international set up with multiple users and provides previews of files without having to download them.

Like Paul, I just use dropbox for most of my work however, I have one client who I need to share a huge amount of client files, git repositories etc.. and when we tried dropbox it pretty much fell over. It was 2 weeks syncing the initial file transfer and even after the initial sync, re-syncing files/copying/removing etc.. could sometimes take 2 or 3 days to catch up on all machines. It got so bad that we gave up on it and they are now looking for a more robust system. Which I believe may well be a server within their office that's accessed through a VPN.

I continue to use drop box pro for my own files but have also been looking at owncloud however that requires a VPS which would cost more than dropbox currently charge.

Yes, having used dropbox in the past, I'm not a fan. We also had a tailor made system designed for us in the past (without involving the people who were going to be using it until it was too late in the day to influence development). It was primitive and clunky. www.box.com looks pretty impressive - but cost is high: however, client is a large corporate, so not so much an issue.

If the client is a large corporation then it would likely be better for them to arrange their own server and hosting rather than rely on something else.

Having said that there is azure (Microsoft) and amazon cloud which might do the job as well.

It's not for the whole corporation to share - it's for a few users across our international markets. There won't be budget/interest in that.

Back