Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Film Trilogy's

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by berry, Feb 15, 2011.

1. berry

berry Active Member

Best Film Trilogy's - the best 3 films
    having a debate at work over this.
    What's on your list?
  2. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

This is tricky, as there are some brilliant movies that have 2 bad sequels!

For films that only come in threes, where all 3 films are excellent, the choices narrow down considerably.

I choose the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Absolutely epic stuff and consistently good both technically and creatively.
  3. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

The best has to be toy story!
    All three films are excellent as stand alone pieces, and get better as they progress.
    Most trilogies have a weak link, Godfather 3, for example!

My other fav is Lord of the rings, but that's just personal preference. Love the book, and thought the films were an amazing achievement in translating that story into a film narrative.
  4. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

Lord Of The Rings!!
  5. davewill

davewill Senior Member

Im finding it hard to disagree with LOTR. As Ken says though, Toy Story has to be up there. Back to the Future 1&2 are excellent I think, but 3 lets it down, as happens in so many cases. Id also have to mention the Bourne films as all 3 are excellent, but LOTR is in a different league.

Empire Mag did their own top33 trilogies you can see here
  6. sthomas

sthomas Member

Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi
  7. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

I would love to say Home Alone 1,2 & 3 but they really ****ed up on the third!
  8. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

The Bourne films is a good shout!
  9. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I'm glad I wasn't the first one to say that!

Ken has hit an impressive point with Toy Story.

However I feel the need to raise Rocky, whilst not a trilogy, it is an epic series of films. If you are an idiot you will complain about 4, 5 and 6, and complain that they are rubbish.

Die Hard could also come up.
  10. sthomas

sthomas Member

What about the Dirty Harry films? There were some duds but a pretty good series overall
  11. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

Just to be pedantic....
    Are we talking trilogy - three films only, or film series/franchises?

If we're talking franchises (I hate that label, but what else can you call them?), Harry potter would have to be up there. Love it or hate it, can you think of any other series of 8 films (eventually) that has been so successful?

The alien films deserve a shout too (excluding the crossovers!)

Of course the original Indiana Jones trilogy should be mentioned too.

Another left-field suggestion might the the spaghetti westerns?

The Matrix films might be worth a thought too.
  12. davewill

davewill Senior Member

The man makes a good point, although the Matrix isnt really my cup of tea I can see why it deserves a mention.

Franchises, in my opinion are a separate discussion, otherwise James Bond would deserve a shout, but trilogies should just be classed as a single story/idea, split over 3 films.

Die Hard would be a good shout, but now they have released 4.0 its spoilt it! Indiana Jones is definitely a great shout. If they make a 3rd Bad Boys film that would get my vote!
  13. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Toy Story

Lord of the Rings

and I thinks with the next Batman movie the Nolan era will be a good contender.
  14. Becky

Becky Member

The Mighty Ducks films obviously!

But in reality it has to be the Bourne films for me :)
  15. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

hmmm, hard one really...

I'm just trying to think what had 3 good films..
    I would have gone alien series but that's four films (I've got the quadrilogy)
    matrix - got boring after first one
    star wars is technically six films (yeah I know)
    ringu has 3 films but they're japanese
    crocodile dundee
    honey I shrunk the kids
    underworld (I quite like this series)

list of others here
    List of film series with three entries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  16. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

Ocean’s Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen are also not bad ... There is also The Terminator, but they made this fourth pile of s**t they have the nerve to call a movie ... Well, the third already was not really good ... Then there is Alien, but it also has four parts ... Third and fourth are better than Terminator 3 and 4, though ...
  17. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I like the original oceans 11. Money burns during a funeral, funnier ending!
  18. berry

berry Active Member

Clint Eastwood's Spagetti trilogy, Few Dollars More, Fistful of Dollars, The Good the bad and the ugly
  19. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Three of my fav movies...
    and it's 'For a Few Dollars More'.

just keeping yer frosty.
  20. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, how could we have forgotten the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy!? (which it still is for now)