Best (Easiest) eCommerce Set Up

smadamij

Hi guys,

Looking for some opinions more than advice here so interested in what you think.

With the amount of people requiring eCommerce sites that are hat we can politely call budget-conscious *read tight ;)* what platforms do you use to make it cost effective to take these clients on and why? Got the Wordpress side all sorted but with the amount of new platforms available has anyone got any first hand experience of some of the others, and what their pros and cons are?

Looking forward to finding out your thoughts....

Cheers

Jim

This is an area I'd be interested in too. WordPress e-commerce with WooCommerce, compared to the more traditional routes, isn't that difficult but when the client has a limited budget and isn't overly fussed about all those extra features, it's often tempting for them to go with the really low end online shop builders - and that's never good.

I stopped looking when I discovered WooCommerce and how flexible it is. I know a few that swear by PrestaShop and OpenCart but no first hand experience.

Is there a reason you can't use Woo?

I think it's just a case of streamlining the process as much as possible for people who, for example, aren't bothered in the slightest about having a unique design and just want something up so they can start their business with minimum hassle and in the shortest amount of time possible. As long as expectations are managed well, and with short enough turn around times then I imagine you could make a good amount of money this way.

Yeah Woo is our platform of choice as well, but sometimes, as a freelancer, this bubble we work in can sometimes be a hindrance as you can stick with what you know - Was just wondering if there were others people would recommend and why.

I've been experimenting with Woo as well and so far I'm pretty impressed but I can also recommend Shopify, and here's why:

The client doesn't need a server or an SSL certificate
The back office is super user friendly
The wysiwyg editior is far better than WordPress
The code editor is far better than WordPress
Phone support is free and very efficent

Of course, there's a monthly charge but in some cases Shopify can be a great option for the budget concious client.

Another really simple and cheap option is FoxyCart but this only works if the client doesn't need to be able to add products themselves.

Back