Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Computer for design?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by pepsi_tank2, Oct 26, 2014.

1. pepsi_tank2

pepsi_tank2 New Member

Hello. I'm looking at getting a new computer and want to be able to design both graphic and motion. I would also like to maybe play a couple games(battlefield or cod). My budget it around $1250 Canadian. If someone could help me out? Thanks in advance!
  2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

can you give us some price comparisons like how much certain things are in Canada, we've only got UK prices to go on.
  3. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

For design work I'd usually say a Mac, but if games are a priority then steer clear. This might be obvious to most people here, but I'd concentrate on spending your money on processor speed and RAM. Storage space can be expanded upon later. If you can afford something with an SSD, it'll be all the quicker for it. If buying a Windows machine, avoid anything with a Celeron processor like the plague.
  4. gcol90

gcol90 Junior Member

Yeah I was gonna say a mid range gaming computer, Windows. Best of both worlds then.
  5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Actually I'd be looking at the programs and if they use cuda/open cl, a better gpu could pay more dividends than a better cpu in some cases (encoding video for example). Personally I'd also pick windows over mac for motion, especially at lower budgets. I do agree about celeron (and anything below i5 really) and lots of ram, I'd also say grab an ssd, they're not that expensive these days.

For £1250 you can get a fairly decent spec but like I say I don't know the relative cost of canadian dollars to us in the UK.