Being charged for original illustrator files

Dreema_Gurl

Hi all

How long should it take to send over some illustrator files? We've asked a previous GD to send over the original files for a job that she completed previously and has been paid in full, and she's charging us for sending them over and says it will be two days work. Surely she can just email them? Am I missing something?

The '2 days fee' is her way of being compensated for the time she's potentially losing by allowing you or someone you know to make changes to the files.

Unless you agreed beforehand that she would hand over the files, then she's entitled to retain them. Most clients assume they will get all the files and rights to work included in the initial fee, so it can be a bit of a shock to find out that you have to pay again for something you think you've already paid for. I personally specify up front that I retain rights, but normally hand over the files as part of the job and I believe you should inform a client if you will charge a release fee for files so they're aware beforehand.

You could argue that you weren't made aware of a fee to hand over files when you agreed to the job, but she'll probably just argue back that it's standard practice, which for a lot of designers and studios, it is.

did you sign an contract? if so i would take a look the job probably doesn't include illustrator files and cites them as an extra charge, this is not uncommon The '2 days fee' is her way of being compensated for the time she's potentially losing by allowing you or someone you know to make changes to the files.

as for sending them, illustrator files can be big and would require outlining most probably but if you have specified you want a fully editable file its not just the .ai it will be fonts, links (images) every element outside of illustrator used will need to be packed up into folders, zipped and sent unless which is highly unlikely but depending on machine, her/his workload access to fonts as she/he will need to pack both windows and Mac fonts (or just the true type > .ttf).

so short answer yes it can take some time, usually i would say it should be quick but it depends on your agreed contract, i for one do not supply illustrator files as a rule of thumb, they are extra, and i do take a 1day lead time.

go and read your contract if it specifies on request then if i where you i'd call and say it says nothing about a charge and argue that.

We never charge for original files.

If they want them - they can have them.

However, some people do charge for them - and I don't agree with it - but I understand it's because they feel it's their skill and knowledge that went into creating the product.

You wouldn't ask an engineer for the files for the car you bought. Or if you got your couch customised, you wouldn't ask the fabricator to send you on the files they used to create them.

hmm, honestly as for as engineers, electricians and plumbers go i do ask for files, documents and certificates as here in the UK without them you can't sell or lose money on them and especially for buying a car unless new we do generally ask for the log book and all subsequent forms from any car service and/or repair so we have the details an know the history before the purchase.

- i just think thats a bad comparison, it is different world over however, back on topic, personally i make sure we have agreed at the start weather or not i am to supply original files as i do like to retain them, i will never however refuse them and depending on the client i may or may not charge, for instance the BBC i make sure i charge for, though they have only asked for originals once.

for some random start-up or high-street independant shop i like to provide everything i can to make there experience as painless and as enjoyable as possible with no ''strings'' so to speak i find they repeat custom this way., where as BBC/ITV/HBO all expect to pay for anything and everything they receive.

Do you ask the sales man for the engineering drawings for your car so you can build one yourself?

It's not a bad comparison. It's not great.

Put it this way - do you go to a tattoo artist and when he's done say - hey give me the template for that so I can all my friends tattoos that I can do with the tattoo gun that I stole.

Back