Becoming a Graphic Designer

andreaxx

Hi there, I really want to become a Graphic Designer but I really dont know where to start.
I know how to use photoshop but not enough and Iv now got Adobe illustrator but Im just starting to learn how to use that. I dont have enough skils to go out there so I basicly want to study but I really have no clue as to where Im supposed to start or what courses Im supposed to study. Im hoping that someone who is in the industry or someone who can point me in the right direction can help me. I just wsh I knew where I was supposed to start, is it a course at college or university, what are the courses called etc. Oh and also does anyone know of any resources I can use like really good tutorials on illustrator so I can use just for now to help me understand the basics of illustrator and start creating some work. Thank you.

Tutorials for Illustrator:
Vectortuts+ | Adobe Illustrator and vector tutorials, from beginner to advanced. - some amazing tutorials
Abduzeedo | Graphic Design Inspiration and Photoshop Tutorials - I always find a few good Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials on here...good for inspiration too.
There are literally hundreds/thousands of sites where you can find good tutorials, just do a Google search and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
I'd try to learn Indesign at some point to if you can.

Courses:
Depends on your age, current qualifications, but generally, I'd recommend one of the level 3 courses like: National Diploma in Graphic Design, Access to Higher Education in Art & Design (if you're over 18), or Art Foundation Diploma in Art (at most colleges). They'll all give you the foundations of general art & design as well as more graphics focussed areas like type etc, and they'll prepare you to go on to a degree/HND.

A book I was given a while ago that was really useful was: Graphic Design Essentials: Skills, Software and Creative Solutions: Amazon.co.uk: Joyce Walsh Macario: Books
It has 'lessons' with projects to complete, and allows you to learn the basics of the main Adobe programmes.

Hth

Thank you for that info, really appreciated.
I know this is what I want to do, I have always had a passion for art and design and I feel like I loose myself in a little bubble when I am being creative, I find a sence of relaxation in it. I just wish I knew it was this that I wanted to do when I was younger, Im 26 now.
Im gonna have a go at some tuts as well as do my research on where to study.

The link Esh has given you is a great place for tutorials whilst, as was also said, if you can get your hands on a few books to learn some of the theory and disciplines then it will be a good start.

Although there are obviously a number of courses you can go on, you can also teach yourself through those suggestions, perhaps picking up some experience in a studio somewhere through shadowing or looking for part time work once you've brushed up your skills a little more.

It will take time to pick up but if you learn the techniques, develop your styles through pieces that inspire you and understand design and things such as the printing process then you'll get there in time with your enthusiasm, I'm sure :icon_smile:

I'm turning 25 in 2 days and only started my degree course in September, with no previous graphic design qualifications (apart from a tiny module on a film course that planted the design seed in brain). There's also about 4 other people my age, with a few students even in their 30's, and 40's.

If it's something you're passionate about then go for it. Bite the bullet, enroll on a course and enjoy yourself. I did and now I wish I'd done it sooner!

Don't fret too much about software skills either. Most of my tutors were designing before Adobe software was even written and they got along fine without it. Primary design knowledge and and understanding are taught first, then the secondary software tools comes later.

Expect to use markers, fineliners, paint and ink before you even see a Mac :)

Last edited:
Back