Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC to deploy detection vans to snoop on internet users

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by @GCarlD, Aug 6, 2016.

1. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...t-users/?campaign_id=A100&campaign_type=Email

Bit of an invasion of privacy, no? Surely there are other ways to go about checking whether people have paid their tv license in order to watch iPlayer. Can't they force users to enter their TV license ref number in their iPlayer accounts or something along those lines...

Anyway by having people need to have a tv license to watch iPlayer, where will that end? A tv license to watch youtube? or to stream anything online?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

pmsl... unless they use something to break wifi security such as wpa2 (it is possible) etc then they're going to have a hard time figuring out what we're using our wifi for.... not to mention it would be illegal to the best of my knowledge.

The only real way they can track stuff is to do a realtime reverse ip lookup from iplayer users, this needs to be realtime due to non fixed ips, and link it to license listing of home addresses. But even that can't be done without a judge saying they can etc so realistically they're stuck with entering your tv license ref number or leaving it as it now.

Personally I think the BBC tv license needs to go and they need to be ad supported like everyone else, it's not like they don't fill time with adverts already. There would be nothing stopping them doing like sky do with access passes for their online offerings and they could even make the license into a 'free access to all our catalogue type affair' rather than the 'pay it to watch tv' that it is now.

Also we might finally get some decent tv from the bbc if they actually had to get funding for it rather than having money given to them so they can squander it on stupidly high wages.

@GCarlD and bigdave like this.
  3. @GCarlD

Totally agree. I think it is ridiculous to need a tv license for BBC iPlayer.

Although they have been given 'legal dispensation' to deploy 'new generation of Wi-Fi detection vans to identify those illicitly watching its programmes online;' 'which is typically only available to crime-fighting agencies, to enforce the new requirement that people watching BBC programmes via the iPlayer must have a TV licence.' :rolleyes:

Since the BBC is not cracking a network when monitoring Wi-Fi, adding a password to a home router will do little to prevent this sort of packet sniffing. A van would also not necessarily have to be directly outside a property to pick up its network if it uses 'special antennas' that can pick up signals from long distances.

4. Levi

Then they won't be able to prove who is using iplayer... seriously who comes up with the junk they put out. Wifi travels a long way these days, 300m give or take on an average router, and the only way they can truly monitor your actual activity is to hack your wifi and monitor exactly what it's using which is illegal like I said.

Just more scaremongering as usual, plus I'd love to see a van out this way.... they'd be seen miles away lol

Should add being a good moderator and all that - I do have a license and everyone should abide laws set by their respective country whether we agree with them or not.

5. @GCarlD

Yeah, I'd like to think all of us who have a tv also has a tv license, so it doesn't make a difference to me, but it is the principle. Some people do not have a TV, and therefore do not need a license, but they will now to legally watch iPlayer (if they do).

To play devils advocate, I'd suggest it is their fancy 'new technology' together with their sexy 'special antennas' that will do the trick. Don't know if you've read the article but they have 'promised' not to hack, and I quote; 'The BBC has promised not to break encryption or to exploit connections at its end of the network.'

6. Levi

Not possible, if the ISP that we send out data through to the internet can't see what data we're sending (well without massive amounts of additional hardware and I'm talking large server farm level) theres no way a van will be able to do it.

It's a bit like the film/music industry saying they lose milions to illegal downloads when independent studies (ie not paid by the studios) show that illegal downloads actually help promote music/movies etc while simultaneously ignoring the reason why people illegally download is usually down to the fact they can't get it any other way at that moment in time (geo blocking etc)...

7. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I still can't believe there is still such a thing as a TV license in this day and age.
    It's like having to pay Tesco a monthly fee even if you shop at Sainsburys.
    How come a private company gets the right to change the law?

We hardly ever watch live streaming or recorded programmes or anything BBC so I'm considering not paying.
    You just need to tell them you don't need their 'service' and inform them you've removed their 'implied right of access' to your property.
    If they knock on your door to ask to check then they are effectively trespassing.

8. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Are these the same as the 'TV detector vans' they had that were just a scare-mongering tactic (they worked, my mum still believes they exist). Just give iPlayer a login screen where you need to input your TV license and you're sorted.

I don't pay a TV license and haven't for a number of years simply because I don't watch live TV, only Netflix or occasionally 4OD, during which I have to sit through ads. Once in a while I still get a letter through the post telling me that inspectors will be calling to check my property, and I could face a fine and time in prison if I don't have a license, even though I've told them I don't need one. The way the letters are actually designed makes them look like final notices, with clear instructions on how to pay and what happens if you don't. I wonder how many people still pay the £140+ per year when they don't need to simply because of these letters.

9. Levi

IIRC you don't actually need a license (at the moment, I'm sure it is or will be part of the change to 'help' iplayer) if you don't use an aerial connected to the tv so if you're just using internet services then you've got nothing to worry over anyway.

10. @GCarlD

I believe it's as from the 1st September you will need a tv license to watch BBC iPlayer. I very rarely watch catch up tv or use any of these players; I have a licence but I still think it's utterly ridiculous.

11. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like it just uses WiFi to find out this information.

Stop using WiFi when watching iPlayer then - or setup a VPN

12. Paul Murray

Just get a powerline adapter, plug an ethernet cable into your device and you're all set. No WIFI and no packet sniffing.

I'm sure this is all just a ploy to get people to buy a license if they don't have one already. I can't imagine the cost of fitting out multiple vans, hiring and training technicians and following up enquiries is a cost effective method of enforcing the license fee. They've been threatening me with imminent visits for years now and I haven't once had a knock at the door from a jobsworth with a clipboard.

The BBC just refuses to adapt to the times.

13. hankscorpio

iPlayer doesn't work outside of Britain.

VPN and it does work.

They're at nothing trying to catch people out.

Instead of trying to catch hard working folk out and fining them huge amounts and threatening with prison - perhaps a reward scheme should be in place for people who do pay their licenses?

Namely - reduced license fees
    Online vouchers - amazon/netflix/google play/ios etc.
    Kids DVDs/merchandise/etc

14. Paul Murray

But Hank, surely being able to watch the myriad of light entertainment shows and mind-numbingly dull quiz shows they put out is reward enough???

hankscorpio likes this.
  15. @GCarlD

Come to think of it, you can watch the BBC live via their website for free... so what difference does iPlayer make?

16. Paul Murray

The main thing I can think of off the top of my head is iPlayer can be installed on tablets, consoles and smart TVs as native apps.

17. hankscorpio

No BBC video plays outside of the UK. Even on twitter.

It's so stupid, as I can google the video and find it and watch it. Sometimes they are not even the copyright holder for it, yet IPs outside UK are banned.

I've deleted the app off my phone because of this (BBC Sport).

BBC are stupid.

18. @GCarlD

Yeah, I'm just trying to understand their logic of the requirement of a tv license to watch iPlayer, but then allow live tv on their website? Maybe as from the 1st September they will no longer have live tv on their site...?

But it does play with the use of a VPN right? (I don't have one setup).

This pretty much sums up everything.

19. hankscorpio

Yes it works fine.