Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barcelona

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by charles, Nov 1, 2009.

1. charles

charles Senior Member

I just booked four days in Barcelona leaving sat morning

Itinery involves zoo and proposing to the lady.

Anyone been there and any recommendations of good places to go whilst there?

thnx

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I went while I was at college (went for dali and gaudi stuff mainly)
    the obvious places to go are the
    sagrada familia (gaudi's church)
    park guell (gaudi's park)
    gaudi museum
    Passeig de Gracia which has the Batlios house amongst others and the shopping district :)
    Magic Fountains at Montjuik

Theres the dali museum (worth a visit imo) but iirc thats a bit further out.

And theres a monastery at montserrat which is in a spectacular location so if you can get out there its well worth a viewing, again can't remember how far out it is exactly but there should be tours going there.

3. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

godd luck dude! never been so no recommendations here.

4. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

lol i like the way you say that so casual...
    oooh how exciting, does she have a clue?

5. charles

charles Senior Member

6. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Have you kept the receipt?

Good luck...I proposed on the green in front of Durham Cathedral...

...it went well.

I visited Barcelona whilst bimbling about Europe years ago, I remember the fountains.
    The Cathedral is also well worth a gander.

7. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

I went to the nou camp and the fountains...really good shows...also the big cathedral and a tour of Barcelona that speaks about the interesting building architecture

8. Good luck charles :) not been to Barcelona for many many years :) I hope you and your other half have a great time :D

remember pics or it didn't happen :p :lol:

9. sarah

sarah Member

Do a Tapas bar crawl, that's fun!

10. glenwheeler

Note: It sounds like he wants to make it a romanticy break..not a student/ibiza holiday lol!

11. berry

berry Active Member

My favourite City. Where abouts are you staying?
    Go for breakfast at La Boqueria, which is the indoor market on Las Ramblas, the market itself is amazing , with all the fish, fruit and meat, the locals do tapas there.it's a must.
    Food - Barri Gotic & El Born area is the place to go.( Good restaurants are-Agut and Egipte on la Ramblas) People don't eat till about 9 and you have to get to some restuarants early as they form large queues. If you see a queue outside one then jump in, means the foods good!. Museum Nacional D'Art de Catalunya deserves a full half day. Awesome. For shopping head north of Las Ramblas past the main Placa de Catalunya - that big avenue has all the top design houses, Gucci etc, Armarni, Boss, Chanel etc. and some really good 'designer' restaurants that are very very reasonable and not 'touristy' as a lot on Las Ramblas are. Enjoy!

12. glenwheeler

100% agreed with Berry! I dunno about the B&B but the rest of it he has mentioned here is a must see. I visited it all myself when I was there a few year back it was great! Try and get yourself to Port Aventura too, its a great day out if you like fast high theme park rides, i'd say its about an hours drive from Barcalona its self on the bus.

13. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

Aww how nice. The hotel looks cool. Well good luck, hope all goes well :up:

14. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Ah las ramblas, thats where we had our hotel, it turned out to be the red light district in the evenings, it was picked by our tutors too lol

15. HippySunshine

HippySunshine Senior Member

Aww thats so sweet :D

Barcelona is GORGEOUS! Ive been twice and loved both times.
    Im not sure where you are staying, but we went to this harbour and there are lots of gorgeous seafood restaurants down there and LOTS of bars and pubs and round the corner on the beach front is a club which was kinda cheesy but fun!

The hard rock cafe does THE most amazing stripped beef burger!! it just melts in your mouth!

Didnt go to the nou camp, but I hear its worth going to take a look :)

Hope you have a fantastic time, let us all know how it goes and post pics.

x

16. sarah

sarah Member

Glen - I didn't mean a studenty/ibiza bar crawl type thing at all

My old boyfriend suprised me and took me to Barcelona for my 18th birthday, and one of the most fun nights we had together is when we didn't just go out for a generic meal - instead we went to about 6 different tapas places and had something different from each place and a glass of wine. We had the best fun, and it was pretty romantic actually.

17. charles

charles Senior Member

Thnks peoples, will check out La Boqueria for breakfast as the lady is a veggie so sounds like a good option

that sounds awesome... especially the wine part; after a few glasses of wine how will she be able to say no! and she might even say yes to my proposal as well ;)

I am staying about a mile away from the 'city centre' whatever that means. link above to hotel

18. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Oooohh Barcelona. Also my favourite European City. There's just such a great vibe and atmosphere there. Barri Gothic (Gothic Quarter) was my favourite area though. Just strolling around the side streets to Las Ramblas, and hanging out in all the small bohemian style cafes is great as well. Loads of street art and graffiti to look at everywhere if you're into that sort of stuff.

Hmm..maybe I should learn Spanish and move there. :D

19. charles

charles Senior Member

Def up my street, I used to enjoy painting a few tracksides and the odd full colour piece myself.

Not beein into that scene for a long time though!