Band Logo

venochai

Hey guys, just joined today during my browsing around for ideas,

I've been stumped recently.

I'm trying to get a logo for my band, Failure To Communicate,
but i can't seem to get a basic idea in my head, perhaps because this project is so personal.

Ideally id like the logo to be relative to the name of the band, and as we are a rock group, to contain some kind of classic element such as that ^^
all of which i could style in or around the text, which in the usual way, should be central to the whole idea.

This is the current one and was knocked up like a cheap lady [ten minutes]

Just so you could see the kind of thing i was trying to do... but it is indeed rubbish :) i made it before i even started studying multimedia...

black2.jpg

So yeah. Just wondering if anybody had any quick ideas that sprang to mind when they heard the name of the band?
(except cool hand luke => , tho we got the name from Guns N Roses' sampling that quote in their song "Civil War")

Thanks in advance for the collective brainstorming.

-Ross

How about a flipped guitar pick and your name? as if someone has flipped the pick as a coin, thats would be a pretty neat idea, how are you designing the logos? That looks like a bad photoshop job, illustrator is the best option however its a professional option are you looking for something basic like normal rocky type band logos?

it was indeed a bad photoshop job =D and i have been ticking it over in illustrator, just cant seem to get a solid idea.

I'm looking to make it pro, i haz teh skilz, its just my lack of inspiration/overthinking it.

im trying to design the logo as the text with something interlaced with it or something cool in the background... at the moment i been working on an image of a gagged girl with "Failure To Communicate" on the gag lol but it seems about as overdone as the first one.

its difficult to keep it simple and still make it kinda cool >.<

if im designing a print for at-shirt or whatever i stick some shapes into illustrator, slam the main image into the centre an build stuff into the shapes around it. just doesnt seem to be happening this time :)

Look at the logo's of other bands in the same genre as yours and go from there :) that might help with the inspiration front :)

Most bands are just styled text and a certain colour, what type of band is yours? or the one your making the logo for? Heavy metal, indie? what type....? I am like the Bullet one a lot!

glenwheeler said:
what type of band is yours? or the one your making the logo for? Heavy metal, indie? what type....?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say death/thrash metal due to the stereotypical (no offence intended) image of the op and the style of the logo.

As to the logo, personally I don't like it, the text is very hard to read as it stands. I would try maybe making the background imagery monotone or using a darker green. Then try a simple single colour for the font and see where it goes from there.

And a random idea that popped into my head while writing this I thought of an embossed text into a brick or rock wall. My thinking is two fold - the literal rock element and the subliminal hitting your head against a brick wall, a feeling we often get when we fail to communicate :clap:

yeah im not using that one, im redesigning the whole thing :)

an we're typical classic cock-rock as some would call it i suppose XD

but thanks for all your ideas so far. they have indeed been helpful! :cool:

Hi Ross,

How are you getting on with the band logo? Any progress?
If I was you I'd try and keep things simple, look at typography first and perhaps ideas of the type breaking down or looking faded could work quite well? You could then look to introduce some more common band elements into the type itself?

As the band name is quite long you could then look to have a stylized icon that fits within your type, but at the same time can be used as an individual icon/logo for other branding purposes, where space is limited and the full name/logo can't fit in.

The following links might give you a few ideas for directions to look at...
Top 10 Rock Band Logos | Uncomplicated, straightforward, and effective web design and illustration | Intuitive Designs
Best Band Logos | Abduzeedo | Graphic Design Inspiration and Photoshop Tutorials

Let us know how you get on, will be interesting to see how it develops from the knocked up logo!!
Greg

i THINK so ^^ considering im folowing a single kind of idea now.

i started out with
Ftc1.jpg

an then i figured it made more sense to have the zips in a kind of mouth shape..

FTC2.jpg

thankyou for those links =>

I'm still looking into improving the idea as a whole. the typography mainly..i mean for a start its a little misaligned and its supposed to be the main focus :O
also gonna add some form of colour... better outlines; and IF i could do it well id draw in some lips to attatch the zips to.

but yeah those are my new templates to work from.

i havent had a lot of time recently due to end of year exams and projects to be handing in so this may be ongoing for like another week XD

So yes... hopefully my new angle will keep you amused until i post another update O.O all criticism appreciated between now and then <3

Ross... been there, got the T shirt, did 20 years of University gigging with bands, and the problem is your too close to the whole thing to produce an objectional piece of design.

Best advice.... ask someone else to do it. No baggage. They will look at it from an totally fresh viewpoint. Forget all the stereotyped stuff. be different. Zig while others Zag (BB BoL) Use Arial !!! Or Comic Sans, anything but be different! create separation. Unless you want to be a Me Too band.

Berry said:
Ross... been there, got the T shirt, did 20 years of University gigging with bands, and the problem is your too close to the whole thing to produce an objectional piece of design.

Best advice.... ask someone else to do it. No baggage. They will look at it from an totally fresh viewpoint. Forget all the stereotyped stuff. be different. Zig while others Zag (BB BoL) Use Arial !!! Or Comic Sans, anything but be different! create separation. Unless you want to be a Me Too band.

second that! In my old band we had 2 graphic designers and we got friends to do all our work! It just made it easier! When you take your work to the rest of the band, you are going to be attached to it and it will cause problems. That was our experience anyway.

I've done some band logos, infact quiet a few, been wrestling with one for weeks now!! I will gladly help.

Back