backup/storage procedures

bigdave

Hopefully moving in to my new office at the start of September and so am thinking about backup/storage procedures.

As I've got 2 computers accessing files, I currently I store everything on an external cloud hdd rather than my laptop and only copy any files I might need for meetings etc.. When I move into the office my intention is to leave my laptop at the office and keep the iMac at home (the wife uses it for work). Because of the separation of locations I'm intending taking all my work off the cloud drive onto a new hdd which will live in the office. I have looked at accessing the cloud drive from the office but it's not exactly ideal as you have to log in and download a file each time you want to edit then remember to re-upload it.

Backup wise I was thinking of getting a 2tb portable hdd to act as time machine which will then come with me to and from work and back up my work files as well as my laptop.

Does this sound over complicated or am I on the right track?

Sounds good to me, although can you get a portable HDD in raid 1? They do tend to mess up after a while and if it did whilst in transit you would be stuck.

Sounds good to me, although can you get a portable HDD in raid 1? They do tend to mess up after a while and if it did whilst in transit you would be stuck.

I did consider getting 2 identical portable drives and rotating them. At least that way if one dies and the building burns down at the same time, I'll only lose a days work.

We do the following

Back up on a hard drive attached to the computer

Back up to DVD

Back up to another drive which is held off site.

Contemplating backing up to the cloud - but our internet service is crap and backing up to the cloud would be a waste of time.

Might be a little late to the party on this so apologies if all sorted. This is my current approach although I do work from home but I'll add a bit which might be relevant to you at the end :)

I use windows due to the software I use (3D Cad etc) but the principles would be the same on mac. I have:
Drive 1 - Documents are stored here
Drive 2 - Realtime Duplicate of Drive 1 (the documents folder) via Bvckup2
Drive 3 - Hourly 'file history' of documents folder for 'older versions' of files (Time machine on macs iirc)

NAS/File Server - Hourly Backup (mapped network drive) to this which can also be used for synchronisation purposes although even though I have more than 1 pc I don't sync them that often due to the way I use them (1 primary 'work' pc the rest are backup/render nodes)

I also do Blu Ray for archival purposes but that's less frequent.

Now for a home and office scenario like you could get 2x 4-5 drive Synology NAS's (this is who I use and would HIGHLY recommend them) and set up their backup/replication tools to sync between the office and home nas. I've not used it personally but it does seem to get good reviews. As a side note they can also be used for things like time machine/file history if you wanted.

Back