Background modification for website

krneki

I'm looking for an idea (or even better - realization ;) ) to make the following background more compatible with transparent banners (image of boots with text in this example):

As you may see, dumbbell is dark grey, surrounded with too bright colors. This makes text hardly readable, so in my opinion, there should be less contrast difference. I'm not sure what are the viable options here, perhaps you might have any nice ideas?

Thanks!

Here is the source background: http://shrani.si/f/2U/12C/2yxAUglq/istock000004112327medium.jpg
And that's how website will roughly look like (with different background amongost other things of course): http://journal.digital-atelier.com/2/

You could try blurring the image slightly and then play around with the image in PS to make it less vibrant. The background image is far too prominent in the design at the moment, you need to find a way to reduce that. People should be focusing on the content of the site and not the background images!
You could also put a white background on the slider image and set it to about 20% opacity.

Which type of blur would you recommend, there are several out there? I'd rather avoid the square transparent white background on the slider area, I believe that it would decrease the minimalism and modern, sleek design.
Less prominent background seems to be great idea, but how to make it look good? What tools, filters would you recommend me?
Thanks!

Just have a play with the image, set up a dummy site in PS, including the elements of the webpage, and have the background layer underneath. Gaussian Blur is the standard, just have a go and see what results you come up with. My idea was using the white box in the same way as you have for the individual products, I'm sure there's a decent design to be had in there using that idea, it might be better to not even use transparency for the the slider.
Good luck, let us know what you come up with!

My first question would be why you chose this image for background??
If you want to be continue with the same image then you need to adjust the shoe first and then blur it a bit so that is could look like the original image. Do the above change in PIXR software; it is much better than the Photoshop.

I've never heard of PIXR and I can't find it through the search engines either.

My first question would be why you chose this image for background??If you want to be continue with the same image then you need to adjust the shoe first and then blur it a bit so that is could look like the original image. Do the above change in PIXR software; it is much better than the Photoshop.
err, isn't PIXLR just like, the basics of Photoshop?

Hmm, so you're saying a free online image editor is better than Photoshop? How so?

I suppose it depends on what you want to do, I've got an add on for windows that allows me to resize jpegs from a right click context menu and it actually does a good job at it (also lowers file size like web versions from photoshop if you set the same size as the file). 90% of the time if it's just a quick resize for say a forum I'll use that over opening say photoshop.
Sometimes a simple tool can do the job you want much quicker and cheaper :)

Indeed, but to state that a free online tool is unequivocally better than the current industry leading software doesn't make for a very good argument.

I wouldn't necessarily say photoshop is great for every task purely because of the sheer amount of things it can do plus industry leading and good quality software/usability are completely different in my opinion lol
In the case of blur/curves that sort of thing could be better... I just assumed Arianna meant at those tasks not in general.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Hmm, so you're saying a free online image editor is better than Photoshop? How so?
I was saying about the software not the online image editor tool...

Back