BA in Graphics + MA in Marketing & Brand Management?

Luke Davies

Hi all,

I'm a graphic design student who'll be graduating this summer. I'm looking at doing a Masters in Marketing & Brand Management (or similar) upon graduating.

I have been in contact with a few lecturers from various universities to discuss courses, and I'm just wondering if a Graphics BA and an MA in Marketing and Brand Management would be a good combination. I want to do an MA in something more business related, but I have doubts over the fact that I don't have a BA in Marketing (or previous experience).

Would employers see a BA in Graphics and an MA in Marketing and Brand Management as a good combination? From what I've heard it seems as though it would be..

Thanks in advance,
Luke.

To be honest, as long as you have a good portfolio, degrees don't make a lot of difference. (in my experience)

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I should have made it more clear – if I was to go into the field of Marketing after the Masters, would people see the BA in Graphics as being valuable alongside the Marketing MA, i.e do they compliment eachother?

Thanks.

I would worry about bringing in a marketing manager with a design background. I think it might end up a blurred role where you would want to be designing when I wanted you to be pulling in nice boring market research and data. Thats just me though, others would possibly see your qualifications as a real plus. And if you were a fantastic designer as well as a marketing guru then you should possibly look at setting up a studio with some people you have worked closely with or something, it's how some of the best studios around were formed.

Back