GilmoreVisuals

I had used a logo for about a year but felt it was detaching me from people, so I moved to a photo of myself (not a great one, not sure what it represents either) which seems to have had a better effect when trying to connect with people, in comparison to a logo.

So on Facebook, Twitter, Behance, LinkedIn, personal site and all those other online sites in which you are present, do you present yourself (visually, as your avatar) as a logo or a photo / or some other representation? Why?

Personally I think that a photo would be much more appropriate and successful in representing your business, unless you look like a troll that's taken an IED to the face, because people like to deal with people. If there were no extra hassles involved, i.e. travel, I believe 99% of people would choose to do business with someone face to face. So when all you have is a logo, it can feel a bit like you're just talking to a corporate entity which I don't believe is ever the best option. When I start my blog and have my new site up I'm going to spend some time getting a good photo of myself up and about on my social media accounts.

scotty said:
I personally don't like to have my mug anywhere on the net.
same, you'll be very hard pushed to find a photo of me anywhere, even around the house lol. I like being on the other side of the camera taking pictures.

I can understand that too. I think there's a fine line between marketing/self promotion and perhaps generating unnecessary risk. True, chances are that people won't be able to do much with your photo but there's always that one psycho... and it only takes one psycho to ruin your life! :(

Levi said:
same, you'll be very hard pushed to find a photo of me anywhere, even around the house lol. I like being on the other side of the camera taking pictures.
Ha! Two peas Levi.
I even get my wife to take ones of mee from her Facebook.
NEVER liked my pic being taken and I even used to sidestep the photographer at school.
I do a lot of character design and website mascots so to be honest, a pic of me on my site would be kinda defeating the point.

I like the self illustration style, I've seen it a few times now and if the illustration is good, it really adds to the aesthetic of the site!

Yeah, I see both sides to the argument. Then again, with a photo there are issues.. people will judge a book by it's cover
Does the fact I am not smiling, for example, suggest I am a grumpy young adult? Or if I was smiling could that be interpreted as too laid back? (i'm sure most people won't think to those extremes, just giving examples as extremes).

Note these are my personal opinions based purely on the image you have on here and nothing else then the first impression could quite easily be....

he's a questionable youth, ie might be a bit of a trouble maker.

Why... size doesn't help but your eyes are quite dark, the slightly nose up tilt to the head and the shape of the mouth combine to give the sort of 'image' the trouble makers round here like to try and portray.... normally we just laugh at them round here but from a business perspective I'd say your image could be improved.

This begs the question, do some people just not have an acceptable business face? (Nothing to do with you Alex, don't worry!)

I use the same picture for everything...and I know it's not exactly 'professional' in the sense that it's me drinking a pint but I wanted something that showed I was just a normal person like everyone else and that I didn't take myself too seriously.
Obviously I have no idea if this has cost me work from people not wanting to work with me as a result, but to be honest if someone is going to be that judgmental over a photo I'm not sure they're the type of clients I want to be working with anyway.

@Levi Thanks for the feedback - So would you argue that a photo where someone might be smiling with some sort of smart-casual clothing would work better?
@Sean Yea, I think so. I think to a certain extent the vast majority of people would be fine on photo, but there are a few (and really in minority) that are not interested at all in impressions or what people think of them within a business context... doesn't mean that they are not any good, it just means they might not give a good impression. I guess it all depends on their intention and objective?

Honestly I don't know what would be better, as designers I wouldn't really want to see you in a suit but smart casual should be ok. Smiling isn't necessary but 'lighting' can make a huge difference to a photo

@Alex Well to be honest, if someone isn't interested in their own appearance then quite simply they're going to be minimising their chances to successfully bring in new projects. I'm not saying you have to sleep in a suit, but if you can't be bothered to look smart then that's going to grate with some people and in this vain world we live in, people will judge you on it! I think it's the case that some personal photos viewed in a business setting are going to have a positive impact, most won't be quite right and won't really have any effect and then some will be down right horrendous. I've seen some website developers put some really, really unprofessional photos of themselves up before and I just remember wondering why on earth anyone would put such a photo online for everyone to see! I also remember it gave me the impression he probably did most of his dev work on computers in the nearest library!
Of course your appearance bare no real indication on how well you can do your job, but people like reassurance and a smart, clean appearance does just that. Take a look at these two, both using the exact same style of photography for themselves, there must be a reason why these two hugely successful designers have done that.
http://www.spoongraphics.co.uk/about.html
http://justcreative.com/about/
@Levi I agree, I think you could get away with a suit, but when your job revolves around creativity and appealing designs, I think smart casual would be great. I don't imagine people want their creative designers to be uptight businessmen.

I think one of the negatives (excuse the pun) about a photo is that people immediately, form an impression and judge you from it.
Be it your age, sex, hair or whatever.
I read somewhere that when people see you that they form an impression within a few seconds be it good or bad.
It's just one of the reasons I get to make mascots of people for their sites.
Personally my style is somewhere around a modern hobo.
Beard, scruffy jeans, t-shirt (very worn), tattoos and worn out Vans.
I'm comfortable with it but not something I'd push.

Well my style when I meet clients is completely different to that of me outside of work or when I'm lounging at home

meetings - jeans, shirt/jumper and shoes, sometimes trousers depending on the type of client (you know the sort I mean), neatly shaved/trimmed facial hair and styled hair
at home - loose, super soft/worn jeans, t-shirt and a fleece - shaver whats that and hair however it turns out lol
when I'm outside of work - somewhere in the middle, if I'm going somewhere where I may run in to a client I'm more like the meeting style, if not then I go for the scruffy urchin look

I imagined you in some sort of wizards cape and staff sort of get up, a little bit like Gandalf perhaps.

At home: Beard, scruffy jeans, t-shirt (very worn), tattoos and worn out Vans.
Everything else: Beard, scruffy jeans, t-shirt (very worn), tattoos and worn out Vans.
+ smell of fags and strong cider.

Back