attribution

Laura Hill

Hello, I have designed a logo free of charge for a startup. Is it appropriate to ask the client for some sort of attribution or back link to my site. edit: I have no interest in controlling the usage or asking for royalties. I am simply trying to build a portfolio.

That was my logic. If I was a huge firm and they were a paying client then, it might be tacky. But we are two bottom feeders right now and a boost in SEO is mutually beneficial. Some people say google penalizes for circular backlinks but it it does not. Google doesnt like sitewide footer links or unnatural ones. Ive studied SEO and a little byline in the header code or link in the About Us section (that is reciprocated) is looked upon favorably by the Google Gods.

Ive studied SEO and a little byline in the header code or link in the About Us section (that is reciprocated) is looked upon favorably by the Google Gods.
Not any more. Google is looking for relevance, reciprocal links without context will just be ignored by Google. If they had a page on their site about the development of their branding and how the logo came into being will a link to the designers of the link then it would have a tiny, tiny bit of value. But just linked to each other is pointless.

Not any more. Google is looking for relevance, reciprocal links without context will just be ignored by Google. If they had a page on their site about the development of their branding and how the logo came into being will a link to the designers of the link then it would have a tiny, tiny bit of value. But just linked to each other is pointless.
Fair enough. I haven't studied SEO since around 2015ish so have things changed? The section you described is what I had in mind, and nothing more. The tiny bit of value is in the author credit. Potential clients of mine see that I am referred to by past clients and have more confidence in me? An implied reference? I do plan to put their logo on my portfolio page. I did it free is it that much to ask for a little credit to help my business along?

Things have changed a huge amount. SEO is now all about relevance. Does the target site (not just the page) provide the best match for the search query. This means Google is looking for authority on an informative and interesting site that adds value. Google is looking at the site holistically and how all the pages integrate. This is why a link back to your site scores so little. You can boost your ranking far more by focusing on your content and navigation rather than accreditation links.

Guess I better fire up my Treehouse 'scrip and take the latest SEO courses! I am mostly word of mouth right now anyway. I just wanted visitors to my site to see my work in use.

You can ask him, but if his website doesn't have high domain authority or traffic, this won't help you that much with SEO. Check his website before asking him.

Back