Attempted to join Instagram but apparently I already have?

@GCarlD

Hello everyone,

I tried to sign up to Instagram for the first time today and was greeted with a message to say that my email address (and username) had already been used for an account. I then attempted to sign up using my mobile phone number and the same message popped up. This is very worrying, as I have never joined Instagram in my life... I even did a search through my email history using the term "Instagram" just to be 100% sure' and found nothing.

I have reset the unknown password and created a new one, so I can now access the account, although it seems a bit dodgy functionally (on the web, I have not got the iOS app) when trying to edit my details. It doesn't even allow me to upload a profile pic?!? Is that normal? Does Instagram generally function a bit dodgy on the web?

Problem is, I want to use it for business purposes so to speak, not social "look what I did on the weekend" shizzle, and I am concerned that this account may not be safe to use for such, as I did not create it in the first place :(

I am not sure what I should do. Is the account safe now I have reset and changed the password? Or is it best to delete the account altogether and create a new one using a different email address? Problem with that is I believe I won't be able to link my mobile number to a new account and I also won't be able to use my business name...

Just to add; I recently created a Facebook business page earlier this month, is it possible that by doing so it automatically created an Instagram account? Although, that wouldn't explain how Instagram has my phone number???

What do you all think?

When you took over the account on Instagram, was it empty or had someone used it already in terms of uploading pictures? To be on the safe side I would delete the account and open a new one. How things ended up in this situation could be that someone typed an email address that happened to be yours or you had by accident a long time ago tried to create an account and forgot about it.

Tyler Durden maybe?

I think Instagram is primarily geared towards phones (which may account for the quirky functionality in non smart-device use), but the desktop browser has never been particularly buggy for me. In theory, if your machine is clean and you have changed the password - I would have said you should be good to go?

Same happened to me years ago. I wanted to see what Instagram was all about, but someone was using my email address - and there were photos up under my name, nothing to do with me.

I reset the password and deleted all images unassociated to me which is everything.

It was weird.

As with most social media, the currency of Instagram is popularity (i.e. number of followers).

Spam bots sometimes try to circumvent Instagram's 'most likes = most popular' philosophy by artificially creating masses of accounts to generate lots of likes and an instant superficial fan-base (highly liked accounts are desirable, and therefore there is a market for them). Every time I post something, I get an immediate 'like' notification and a comment - usually something generic like: "OMG, I LOVE your photo! XXX".

For one, I'm an illustrator, not a photographer and the comments are often written in that easy-to-spot, generic junk-mail speak.

Chances are, your accounts have been randomly generated as part of the artificial crowding.

When you took over the account on Instagram, was it empty or had someone used it already in terms of uploading pictures? To be on the safe side I would delete the account and open a new one. How things ended up in this situation could be that someone typed an email address that happened to be yours or you had by accident a long time ago tried to create an account and forgot about it.

Yes, it was empty but the username was my business name, which is what I would like. It's almost as if I set it up but never used it, that's why I searched through my e-mail to be sure. Although I tend to be inactive on social media, I would have remembered if I set up an Instagram account in the past, and something from Instagram would have surely shown up in my email.

If deleting the account is the best thing to do then fair enough but that means I won't be able to use my business name or link my phone number on a new account, in which case I may as well not sign up.

Same happened to me years ago. I wanted to see what Instagram was all about, but someone was using my email address - and there were photos up under my name, nothing to do with me.

I reset the password and deleted all images unassociated to me which is everything.

It was weird.

Do you still continue to use that account even though you never really created it to begin with? If so, how has it been? Any funny business or dodgy behaviour with your account?

Do you still continue to use that account even though you never really created it to begin with? If so, how has it been? Any funny business or dodgy behaviour with your account?

No it's been grand. Don't use instagram and haven't been on it in a while. I presume it's still me.

Just in case anyone else has this issue in future, Instagram got back to me, looked into the account and advised they have deleted it and that I should create a new account using my details, which I have done. IMO it probably would have been ok to use the previous account once I changed the password, but better to be safe than sorry I suppose, or maybe Instagram saw something that I couldn't...

Great that you could give us an update. Agree with you that it would be possible to use the account once you changed the password, but I'm sure it feels better that you created an account yourself. Then it feels more genuine than using an account that was created by someone else using your email address. By the way, how did you get in touch with Instagram?

Great that you could give us an update. Agree with you that it would be possible to use the account once you changed the password, but I'm sure it feels better that you created an account yourself. Then it feels more genuine than using an account that was created by someone else using your email address. By the way, how did you get in touch with Instagram?

That is exactly it, peace of mind I suppose. Never know, whoever created the account may have been able to access it somehow with their hacker skills, even with the password changed, or change the password or simply steal my stuff and personal info, who knows. And if not, I probably would have been a bit paranoid about such things if I did use that account.

I contacted Instagram via their help centre https://help.instagram.com/ once they responded to me, we emailed back and forth for a few days until they came to the conclusion of deleting the account.

Thanks for sharing the information. I'm sure it will be valuable for someone who happens to be in the same situation as you were.

Back