Asking user too much?

thecaptain

Hello,

This is my first time on this site and I must say, you could lose hours reading through some of these threads...very informative!

I would like some views on the concept of a website and if we are asking too much of our user. We are not really a business (site does not make money) but still we would like some info from the sort of people we are targeting.

We have produced a portal for designers to link their sites through, but instead of a generic link we ask that people design their own link from a set size which we specify. We have also added a twist where we ask for a character link of some sort: a sketch, illustration etc. that would represent the designer in their style. Yes an illustrator would easily mange this, but we feel that most graphic designers have an artistic flare and could manage a small illustration. Are we wrong?

We feel that this will give the designer a chance to grab a potential visitor by instantly showing a snippet of their work/style as opposed to scrolling through a list of words.

That said. Is it too much? Would you rather link your site with a straightforward text based link or spend a small amount of time designing some assets.

The site is supposed to be a bit of fun as well as functional, and hopefully with time useful for designers.

Were pretty thick skinned so any views would be nice...here is the site Designers Assemble it's pretty new!

Kind regards

The Captain

Sounds fine, but what about web developers? They're amazing at what they do, but a lot I know don't tend to have an eye for design, let alone illustration.

Unless of course you're not including developers on there.

Thanks ARRIVALS... Only looking for the visual side of things at the moment but you've just gave me an excellent idea!

Back