Artworker desperate to follow graphic designer dream

Mattdbryce

Hi all!

My name's Matt, I've got 3 and a half years experience as an Artworker and have recently felt the urge to follow my dream of becoming a graphic designer but fear my background and portfolio aren't up to scratch.

Here's my portfolio - www.mattdbryce.co.uk. I think it's confusing as i show my photography and digital imaging too. I think my portfolio needs refining, but I don't have a clue how to go about bumping my portfolio up. I was thinking of writing to some graphic design agencies to see if they could send me some hypothetical briefs.

My background is I have a degree in Photography...will this hinder my chances of getting graphic design work?

SO, my main question is where do I start? And how do i get out of this boring Artworking job?

Does anyone have any books they'd recommend i buy, i was thinking of this one to start:

How to be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing Your Soul: Amazon.co.uk: Adrian Shaughnessy: Books

Any help you can give would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Matt

Hi Matt,

It's frustrating when you can't find work in the field. I found a number of times in interviews though the word "experience" comes in quite frequently. Even if your a junior designer.

What people look for in a designer/artworker is someone who can adapt to a design quickly and still produce a quality job. You have to show this in your portfolio and tell them the numerous jobs you've done. My best advice is to try and get a few jobs around your area, even if its free or you can charge. For example, Go into a business park and offer to design them a leaflet for £10, or go to a local resturant and offer to design them some menu's. If they don't get them printed, you have still got some more work to go in your portfolio.

I just have to say good luck and I hope this helps.

I sent this guy a message - feeling a bit frustrated like Matt - didn't even bother me with the courtesy to reply - even if it was a big 'no'....at least your efforts and attempts should be recognised, I have always replied to people no matter what their enquiry - which always leaves me with the thought:

"Why would I want to work with such a pompous A** in the first place?..His/their loss"

Hi Matt.

Are you thinking graphic design as in flyers, business cards, brochures, those sorts of things?

You might want to take a look at this thread and get in touch with the original poster for some briefs...

http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.u...ter-looking-collaborate-graphic-designer.html

I saw this ad and sent this guy a message - feeling a bit frustrated like Matt - however, he didn't even have the courtesy to reply.... - even if it was a big 'no'....at least your efforts and attempts should be recognised, I have always replied to people no matter what their enquiry - which always leaves me with the thought:

"Why would I want to work with such a pompous A** in the first place?........What does it tell you about their attitude towards other professionals, and of course their lack of communication skills....His loss"

I too had a few exchanges of communication with the lad and then he just stopped replying! Apparantly nobody on this forum is what he is looking for. I was rearing to go, only the brief never showed up. :icon_dunno:
I've come across his original post on numerous design/advertising forums actually.

I too had a few exchanges of communication with the lad and then he just stopped replying! Apparantly nobody on this forum is what he is looking for. I was rearing to go, only the brief never showed up. :icon_dunno:
I've come across his original post on numerous design/advertising forums actually.

Yeah, obviously another time waster....oh hum..back to the drawing board, sketchbook, MAC, etc etc!

I saw this ad and sent this guy a message - feeling a bit frustrated like Matt - however, he didn't even have the courtesy to reply.... - even if it was a big 'no'....at least your efforts and attempts should be recognised, I have always replied to people no matter what their enquiry - which always leaves me with the thought:

"Why would I want to work with such a pompous A** in the first place?........What does it tell you about their attitude towards other professionals, and of course their lack of communication skills....His loss"

That is the worst, when people dont bother to reply. I just can't believe how unprofessional it is. I think things are so complicated it makes things difficult for companies and makes them alot more busier, but still no excuse not to reply.

For one thing, your supposed to be a professional graphic designer, that's why you have gone for a job etc. Second, your a person just like they are, not some sort of robot that does work for them.

Such a shame, we live in such a unprofessional system at the moment.

Back