Artwork Charges - Poster

MikeButtery

Guys,

Just a quick one, designing an A2 poster for a new client, who owns a popular bar. The poster has taken me 4 hours maximum, what should I be charging the client?

No prices where set before the work was started, as this is a deal sealer for a website design etc, and is for a personal friend.

Whats the most I can charge a bar for a promotional poster?

Any advice appreciated!

i don't like the idea of charging artworks by the hour. You should have a fixed price in mind for a particular kind of job.

Thanks h_freezy, I kinda agree, I don't like to set an hourly limit on something I can be so creative with, so any idea what to charge as a fixed price job??

MikeButtery said:
No prices where set before the work was started

Good luck on this one.

If its going to definitely get you the web design work (set prices first and get in writing etc), I'd probably throw it in for free (assuming the web work is decent amount) and then just up the web design work a fraction to cover the costs of doing the poster.

edit: and why not introduce yourself in the introductions section further down :)

Hi Levi,

Yeah the client/friend has come to me to do the website, she has seen my previous work, and wants soemthign similiar for her bar. I am 100% doing a quote on this one before work commences and also taking a deposit.

As for the poster, I am just curious as to what others would charge for an A2 promo poster for a bar or club, for future reference.

Thanks for all the help!

depends on the level of creativity and how rich your client is..................A2 poster for a popular bar should be in the region of £150 - £300. Do you have a rough idea of how much the bar can afford?

The poster is creative, specific to the bars halloween event... As for money, I have no idea what the client has to spend, as this is the clients first time actually paying for professional designed posters, and she is unsure what here budget is... Its a bit of a mess, and I want to come to a solution we are both happy with.

I would say its on a par, probably better than this poster I designed at my old freelance contract Halloween Poster - Residence by *mikeymikesart on deviantART
My old bosses wouldnt tell me what they charged.

Again I appreciate all help!

Welcome to the forum!

Think it depends on how you agree to deal with the client, is he/she..

A) a new client, who owns a popular bar

or

B) a personal friend

You should (between you) decide on an approach and price accordingly understanding each others positions ie. you either working for them 'as a friend' charging them a good rate potentially sealing the deal for website et al, but also thereby setting the pricing level for this potential future work. Or usual rates £35-40 per hour or whatever you charge a 'normal' client understanding this may not help secure the deal for future work.

Best thing you can do is talk to them :D

Depends on the poster really, if its a fly poster sort of thing thats usually text on fluoro paper then £50 or if it's a full colour poster designed to high quality etc then £120 That's the way I'd do it anyways.

Cheers Charles & Tom.

Your right, I think I will go with the mates rates, purely to get the website, which will be a massive chunk, and again as its mainly poster work after that.

Still struggling on a mate rate, haha, but I shall speak to her tomorrow.

I will upload the poster tomorrow for anyone curious, again thanks all for the help, this place is awesome!

MikeButtery said:
Cheers Charles & Tom.

Your right, I think I will go with the mates rates, purely to get the website, which will be a massive chunk, and again as its mainly poster work after that.

Still struggling on a mate rate, haha, but I shall speak to her tomorrow.

I will upload the poster tomorrow for anyone curious, again thanks all for the help, this place is awesome!

Mates rates is a hard one. Does she ply you with cheap drinks? no?

Don't sell yourself short as I often do, you still have to be earning out of your mates rates don't forget. Quote the site and future work before you start it too :D

Haha, no free drinks I am afraid Tom, I can't handle the beer anyway!

She is more like a sister figure, looked after me when times where hard etc, sob sob!!

But yes all future work will be quoted on first, and I will make a profit, even at mates rates! cheers again!

NOTMAKINGTHATMISTAKEAGAIN2copy.jpg

just finished this for a friend, would a2 and a3 black and white, it usually takes me around 3 hours to knock up a post like this. No need for maths, £75, but because he is a friend and wants new ones pretty much every week, I always charge him £50.

very nice, a bit different from the 'usual' halloween posters. As charles said, it would look great on a T-Shirt. She should be thrilled :)

charles & Becky, thanks for the feed back!

Yeah I wanted to create something unique, and unlike the usually halloween posters, this is my second one this year!

Thanks again!

MikeButtery said:
charles & Becky, thanks for the feed back!

Yeah I wanted to create something unique, and unlike the usually halloween posters, this is my second one this year!

Thanks again!

kool,

I reckon u should get some black tshirts with ur design printed for the bar staff to wear on the night.

gives the night a more branded feel

it looks good, but I do have a quesiton that is not meant to offend, i am genuinely curious, how much of that is from stock vectors/photoshop brushes? and how much did you make yourself?

some parts look like they came straight out of a go media pack.

this is not a criticism, its a question. I've got work that is built up of this sort of thing too.

Back