Article 13?

Basically this is the big media companies wanting (lobbying via large pots of cash) the EU to enforce a 'firewall of china'..... it's actually not going to do much for the little guys, it's just about the large companies 'protecting' their antiquated business practices instead of getting with the times.

Thing is...these things tend to have a ripple effect and you don't know where it'll end up.

I guess it's just another step to censoring the internet?

Thing is...these things tend to have a ripple effect and you don't know where it'll end up.

I guess it's just another step to censoring the internet?
Pretty much, the main companies lobbying for the change are trying to get this passed instead of adapting their business models to counter 'pirates' who use a better system such as (admittedly illegal) streaming sites where everything is in one place, they're just trying to stop them so they can then have 10+ (I'm losing count) individual streaming services which require multiple subscriptions and services to watch stuff.....

I'm a strong believer that there shouldn't be any 100% 'exclusivity', timed exclusivity is fine but not permanent, on streaming platforms as it's anti-consumer but big companies are the reverse... mind you I'm not a fan of 'subscriptions' in general either as you never own anything and in the case of music and video something you're watching might get taken away if the company who owns it wants a bigger slice of the pie than the streaming platform is offering.

The issue with this is that it can easily end up being an easy way to censor news about 'dictators' or something like the 'UK is seeing growth in businesses after announcing brexit' from other countries in the EU to prevent them from wanting to leave as well.

Bet you love Adobe then? ;)
Yep, and pretty much every other piece of software I use has gone that way too..... we are literally paying out cash to use software, rather than paying out cash to own the software.

Where as before we could buy one copy and then just use it till we 'needed' to upgrade, the current subscription model, while cheaper per year will actually end up costing us more in the long run if we didn't update on a regular basis before hand. Not to mention the companies can literally do nothing with the software so even after we've paid off the 'value' of the software from before we have to keep paying if we nee to use it. Think about it, when was the last time illustrator really gained anything 'new', it might have a had a few 'plugins' built into the program and some UI/UX improvements but realistically Adobe hasn't done much since it's been on subscription.

It's why a lot of small businesses are shifting to open source and alternatives to the main players. I'm looking more seriously at alternative 3D programs (especially ones which have a linux port) and even free ones like blender, partly because it seems to have improved a lot recently but also because it's considerably cheaper or even free, not to mention concerns where desktop os's are going.

Back