are you a retro game artist?

CraigHawker

Hi guys,

I'm a software developer from the UK with absolutely no graphical ability. None. Every time I come here and see the awesome visuals that you guys produce I am literally blown away. The sheer range and quality of graphics are mind-blowing.

I'm primarily a (.NET) web developer but in my past I've been involved with creating Flash-based games along with designers, but my eye's recently been caught by the Windows Phone 7 system that Microsoft are producing and the XNA architecture that you can use to develop games for it.

If you don't know, basically MS are throwing a tonne of money at their new phone operating system (coming out in a couple of months) and will have an application ecosystem similar to Apple's. My plan is to get a few (simple) 2D retro-style games up on their app store to try and capitalise on this surge of new people.

I am more than capable of developing the architecture for the game. I have experience in developing tile-based gaming engines and have already produced one example of a top-down "fighter" game using XNA and some dodgy graphics as a proof-of-concept. My plan is to take this and some other games I have ideas for, develop them in conjunction with a designer (or two) and put them on the marketplace.

I'm looking for someone interested in creating some retro-style game graphics/sprites to help me achieve the goal of selling these games and making us both - hopefully - some money. I'm hoping that someone out there there's someone, possibly a student, who'd like help. Even if the games don't get off the ground (and/or don't make any money), I will provide Windows-executables of the game that the artist might be able to use for course credit, CV, or something similar.

Please note that this is not a paid job. Not up-front, at least. However it is something that I hope will take off and we can arrange a profit-share for. I'm willing to accept the costs of getting onto the approved-developer-list (so that we can submit applications).

Is anyone interested? And/or does anyone know of any students that may want to look at this as a learning process with the potential for making some money in the future? Please feel free to reply or to chat about it on twitter @CraigHawker.

Craig.

Hi guys,

I'm a software developer from the UK with absolutely no graphical ability. None. Every time I come here and see the awesome visuals that you guys produce I am literally blown away. The sheer range and quality of graphics are mind-blowing.

I'm primarily a (.NET) web developer but in my past I've been involved with creating Flash-based games along with designers, but my eye's recently been caught by the Windows Phone 7 system that Microsoft are producing and the XNA architecture that you can use to develop games for it.

If you don't know, basically MS are throwing a tonne of money at their new phone operating system (coming out in a couple of months) and will have an application ecosystem similar to Apple's. My plan is to get a few (simple) 2D retro-style games up on their app store to try and capitalise on this surge of new people.

I am more than capable of developing the architecture for the game. I have experience in developing tile-based gaming engines and have already produced one example of a top-down "fighter" game using XNA and some dodgy graphics as a proof-of-concept. My plan is to take this and some other games I have ideas for, develop them in conjunction with a designer (or two) and put them on the marketplace.

I'm looking for someone interested in creating some retro-style game graphics/sprites to help me achieve the goal of selling these games and making us both - hopefully - some money. I'm hoping that someone out there there's someone, possibly a student, who'd like help. Even if the games don't get off the ground (and/or don't make any money), I will provide Windows-executables of the game that the artist might be able to use for course credit, CV, or something similar.

Please note that this is not a paid job. Not up-front, at least. However it is something that I hope will take off and we can arrange a profit-share for. I'm willing to accept the costs of getting onto the approved-developer-list (so that we can submit applications).

Is anyone interested? And/or does anyone know of any students that may want to look at this as a learning process with the potential for making some money in the future? Please feel free to reply or to chat about it on twitter @CraigHawker.

Craig.

My partner and i have a great interest in retro games and I would love to do this but sadly wouldn't have the time to take on unpaid work at the mo as I'm working my ass off to go freelance. I would like to ask however, if you would need any music doing for it? My partner would be well up for that, i could send you some links to the stuff he's made?

Back