Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we all the same?.....

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by bigdave, Jun 4, 2010.

1. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

It seems that all designers I've worked with are pretty much the same kind of person. So I was wondering, do we ALL fit into the same mold? How many of these boxes do you tick?

• Drink way too much coffee.
    • Drink way too much alcohol.
    • Cant just do something, if youre doing it, it quickly becomes an obsession.
    • Short attention span.
    • Enjoy the adverts more than the program
    • Everything has to be just so,
    • Always either 20 mins early or 20 mins late
    • An ability to remember the most pointless things but struggle to remember your own phone number.
    • Short fuse.
    • Always skint
    • Have a strange desire to make sure everything lines up with something else in the room.

VLAHAKISA and gelmonroy like this.
  2. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

Tick quite a lot of these. . .
    Tea not coffee
    Alcohol - oh yes!
    Can be a bit obsessive
    Butterfly brain
    Husband has control of the remote
    10 or 20 minutes late - rarely early
    Remember lots of trivial stuff - forget some important stuff
    Fuse has got longer as I've got older
    Brassic
    Colour is more my thing here. . . though we* have an ability to put up curtain rails without measuring!

*Husband (works in print/design also)

Other thing I would add that I've noticed that constant food is important to designers. . .

3. NeedForBleed

NeedForBleed Member

Drink way too much....tea, coffee or alcohol, it could be diesel for all I care.

(see above)

The amount of effort I'm putting into copying, pasting and quoting each of these questions would surely suggest that I'm not obsessive :p. This really bugs me actually, it takes me half an hour to send somebody a text message, just to ask them what time to meet.

What was the question? It's taken me about a year to gather my bits for a portfolio, and it's still not done.

I don't particularly like either it has to be said, I'm usually playing games, interacting, instead of watching.

This is me.

20 minutes late minimum, not good.

This is true for me. It's frequently linked to aspergers, autism and dyslexia, none of which I have that I'm aware of.

I'd say I'm implosive.

I don't really spend massively, so not particularly.

Face has to line up with the tele and ears in line with the headphones. Otherwise I'm a completely messy git.

4. codenamecueball

codenamecueball New Member

Pretty much all except the coffee and alcohol ones. God lining everything up I do that all the time, not to mention wondering how they made X advert or what is Y typeface. If I see a typeface I like I will snap a photo of it then ID it later. How many of you do that eh?

5. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

95% for me. Are you Derren Brown?!

6. sweetums

sweetums Member

Glad it's not just me who does that! My phone is full of shots of random pieces of text that I've found while out and about which I snap to try and identify when I get back home!

7. bigdave

Me three!... :icon_blushing:

8. djb

djb Member

8 out of 10 scarily enough.

My friends have been known to play a game where they move a coaster or magazine on the table and then have a sweepstake on how long it will take me to notice it and put it back parallel to the tables edge. :icon_blushing:

9. nontrickpony

nontrickpony New Member

All bar the coffee... it's tea which I never finish of Asda's own red bull ( See trait 10, always skint!)

10. Edge

Edge Active Member

Spelling made me smile.
    Do you remember the sketch in Life of Brian when Brian stood on the balcony and said 'You are all individuals' and the assembled crowd shouted back, 'we are all individuals' and then one guy stuck his hand up and said 'I'm not.'

11. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

I probably tick all of these minus the alcohol. Dont drink too much of that. Make up for it with tea though. :D

12. Edge

Edge Active Member

• Drink way too much coffee. - drink 1 filter in morning - heaven! two instants at office
    • Drink way too much alcohol. - don't drink, gave up 3 years ago. Mind you I drank a couple of lifetime's worth in my first year at uni.
    • Cant just do something, if youre doing it, it quickly becomes an obsession. - Nope
    • Short attention span. - yes on stuff that doesn't interest me
    • Enjoy the adverts more than the program - nope - i switch the volume off often
    • Everything has to be just so, - doesn't HAVE to be.
    • Always either 20 mins early or 20 mins late - rarely ever late - I'm obsessed with being on time
    • An ability to remember the most pointless things but struggle to remember your own phone number. - short term memory
    • Short fuse. - yes when in a car - permanently in a rage until I get out and then I hold doors open for people I can see on the horizon
    • Always skint - not skint, not rich
    • Have a strange desire to make sure everything lines up with something else in the room. - i have a strange desire to line my body up with settee.

13. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

I've always suspected that most good designers are borderline autistic and eight of the items on your list would score highly in an assessment for ASD; the remaining three are, I think, part and parcel of working independently: odd hours require massive caffeine intake in the constant battle to try and sync with clients' working patterns, alcohol is the antidote to pressure and skintness comes from the absence of a regular, predictable payslip.

The only thing I'd add to the list is laziness, but not in the conventional sense: I once heard Orson Welles remark (and it really chimed with me) that lazy people are among the hardest working as, if they didn't work hard, they wouldn't do anything.

14. gelmonroy

gelmonroy New Member

• Drink way too much coffee. - not really
    • Drink way too much alcohol. - yes, too much! :)
    • Cant just do something, if youre doing it, it quickly becomes an obsession. - can be.
    • Short attention span. - more like adhd
    and yes to everything else that follows. :D

15. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Ha, ha. Brilliant. That made me smile this morning. Thanks Edge :icon_biggrin:

16. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

Drink way too much coffee - don't touch the stuff, hyper enough thank you very much :icon_biggrin:
    Drink way too much alcohol - never touch it (thanks Mum you raging alcoholic you)
    Cant just do something, if youre doing it, it quickly becomes an obsession - ADHD, it's called Hyperfocus; everything elses fades into non-existence
    Short attention span - see above
    Enjoy the adverts more than the program - see above
    Everything has to be just so - see above
    Always either 20 mins early or 20 mins late- see above
    An ability to remember the most pointless things but struggle to remember your own phone number - see above
    Short fuse - see above
    Always skint - see above
    Have a strange desire to make sure everything lines up with something else in the room - see above

17. GibbW

GibbW New Member

Haha.. love this thread!:

Drink way too much coffee. Yes!
    Drink way too much alcohol. Yes!
    Cant just do something, if youre doing it, it quickly becomes an obsession. Oh Yes!
    Short attention span. What?
    Enjoy the adverts more than the program. Yes!
    Everything has to be just so, Yes
    Always either 20 mins early or 20 mins late Always early
    An ability to remember the most pointless things but struggle to remember your own phone number. Yes
    Short fuse. Yes
    Always skint No
    Have a strange desire to make sure everything lines up with something else in the room. Definitely Yes, I have OCD on this

18. taylorx79

taylorx79 New Member

Pretty close to this myself.

• If I could get away with, I'd drink coffee in buckets
    • Less so on the booze, still, if I'm in a bar full of craft beer, good whisky/whiskey...
    • Attention span, especially when staring at a blank page, is minute
    • An ability to remember the most pointless things? YUP
    • Strangely enough, I'm obsessed with being on time, cracks me up being late. My other half however does not share this particular quirk.
    • Always skint. :icon_biggrin:

19. bigdave

My local bottle shop..
    [​IMG]

It also has it's own bar upstairs selling many of the shop's wears

20. taylorx79

taylorx79 New Member

Is that House of Trembling Madness? Been there once before, it's one of my favourite places ever. Great name, great food, great drink!

I've also been in Pivni, in York, very cool place too.