Are flags copyrighted?

Designthoughts

Hi everyone,
Can someone help please? I had an email earlier from someone requesting the American flag reversed with a yellow border (basically the military flag) that he needs for his printed to do some military patches. And he said if he gets me the American flag can I reverse it and add a yellow border.
However I just wanted to check what the rights are with flags? I don't know what company he is from as its a .com email address.
But I didn't want to pursue this work and then get fined etc..

Yes thanks Paul Murray. It was a genuine question to be asked, not a stupid one. I have been a graphic designer for many years now, but always like to check things out before proceeding. I am quite cautious, but you have got to be when clients can sue you left right and centre. And after several times of searching it didn't give me much to go on either.

None of those results appear to give a definitive answer, just speculation, hence why the OP probably posted here to ask a community that works with copyrighted material. Please don't make the forum "one of those places" by posting snarky replies like that.

One of the first search results gave me the answer and in no way am I ever snarky; it's not in my character. It was lighthearted and 'fun' if you like. Funny enough, I did not know about the 'Let me Google that for you' link until I saw one of your fellow mods (I won't say any names) post it on here, again in a lighthearted way, on quite a few threads. Did not see any complaints then...

I'm sorry you have interpreted it that way though :)

One of the first search results gave me the answer and in no way am I ever snarky; it's not in my character. It was lighthearted and 'fun' if you like. Funny enough, I did not know about the 'Let me Google that for you' link until I saw one of your fellow mods (I won't say any names) post it on here, again in a lighthearted way, on quite a few threads. Did not see any complaints then...

I'm sorry you have interpreted it that way though :)

I found that quite witty in a light hearted and playful manner.

None of those results appear to give a definitive answer, just speculation, hence why the OP probably posted here to ask a community that works with copyrighted material. Please don't make the forum "one of those places" by posting snarky replies like that.

Not saying any names here but I think somebody might be a little bit 'over tired', hmm? ;)

Obviously UK might be a little different to say USA but basically it looks like using the design is fine (too old to be copyrighted) but there are 'instructions' on how it is supposed to be used, ie placement on flag poles, whether it's to be mirrored on the opposite side that sort of thing.

UK PDF is here

Looks like the US has rules too
Flag code
Flag etiquette

sex-pistols_0.jpg

Back