Architecture Designn Concept layouts ?

Nstocks

Hi,

I'm looking for inspiration and ideas of how I should set out my design concepts for University. There will be 4 A3 sheets and they will have different projects in them. They will consist of elevations, sections, views and a simple collage of how the project is used ( it's a tent design )

Could anyone please point me in the direction to get inspiration or InDesign templates for such a layout ? It needs to be minimal.

This is my first project and I really want to to stand out and look right.

Thank You

Hi,

That is kind of what I wanted, but it mainly the layout of images and the way illustrations are annotated etc. I don't really know how to explain it.

Thanks

what year of uni are you as this should have been covered by your tutors (edit: looks like your a 1st year so do the next bit), if it hasn't ask them I did in the 2nd year and it paid off as I was the only one with the presentation (first project) in the way the tutors wanted, now my style has since changed but it worked for the 'client' at the time.

If this is annotation of architectural plans there is a standardised way that this should be done as far as I'm aware. If its conceptual designs then it really depends on the products etc and again it really does depend on what exactly the tutors expect on the page.

May I also recommend the introductions section of the forum here where you can introduce yourself properly

Well my Tutor wants Elevations, a Plan with section lines and sections. A Scale bar and your name. I could go into detail about each element i.e materials and properties of each.

This could be achieved like this :

Not My Work, Do not re-publish please.

But it's going to leave the page a little plain and empty.Maybe a border type thing, but that's the line between Architecture and Graphic Design :p

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-04 at 17.56.21.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-04 at 17.56.21.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 12
um which course are you doing
architecture would have a very clean look to it, generally using simple black and white line art style illustrations.
If its graphically orientated like the image then its purely a design decision as that looks like its for a fold out brochure.
A rendered scene would be treated differently all together, personally I would have that on a page on its own but like I said before ask the tutors, thats what they are there for, they will think more of you for asking them then trying to guess what they want, plus this should have been taught if this is what they are asking for.

I'm studying Architecture BA (Hons) 1st year.

The project is to create a portable shelter for a Nomad ( person )my design is adapted from a tent design but integrated a backpack so it's easy to carry...

Any ideas of bendable metal lol. Or something that is incredibly easy to collapse as the structure is like the sydney opera house, the font parts fold over each other.

thats easy - tubes with hinges and then covered in hard wearing fabric/synthetic materials. Look how an armadillo or other shelled animals move.

Also I'm 99% certain that theres a product out that already does your brief.

Theres plenty of bendable metals the problem is they don't go back to their original shape

I have attached 2 images of the model I made ( not final ) one shows it fully closed, the front pieces fold up about the drawing pin ( real like object ? Rivet ? ). The other image shows it folder up like how it would go on your back. Do you have any suggestions how I can attach a roll-up bottom sheet to it ? It's a bit hard to work out.

Thank You

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 12
if the roll out sheet is what I think it is (the bit you lay on) then the best option in my opinion would be to have it on the right side (referring to right image) between straps )have a run of fabric to the point) and then have a fixing at the pivot and the left end, maybe some extra's along the side.
Your design isn't really suited to place it anywhere else.

My Tutor said that it should somehow go at the front of the ' shields ' obviously be o the bottom piece and have use velcro or press-studs to fix into place. It also needs to act as a back for the backpack.... How easy would that be to draw in CAD ( ArchiCAD )

well you wouldn't draw it as such in cad, it would be represented like the other fabrics. You wouldn't really do fabrics in a full cad model although obviously you'd have them for cutting out templates etc.

if you use my placement you could do a double roller and have one go over the outside and cover the top and the other deals with the underside and then they would connect at the front of the shields. Personally though I'd have probably just done an elasticated 'bag' that fits over it all and connects to the design.

Not quite sure how this is really an architecture project as this is more product design but hey its not my course :)

I know, that's exactly what I and many other students thought ! Firstly we each got a location ( 12 groups of 15 students ), My location was a rusty old bridge in a field. We had to sketch the place and find out it's history and present that in the form of sketches maps and site analysis to the group on paper. Then we have to deigns 16 design alternatives for a shelter, I made 3 and my Tutor said " What's the point of doing 16 if you know what you want to do and that it's a good idea" She spoke the the year co-ordinater and he said " It's down to the tutors to decide " :). Now we have to chose 4 designs from 16 and present them on CAD, though most people got 10 designs and are doing 3 CAD drawings. Lastly we have to make a model out of one of the CAD sketches....

I don't know if that will work, because it needs to cover the ' shields' and the flat part... would the rest of the material that isn't fixed inside teh actual bag just overlap it in half then unroll ? Seems to be better than the other idea anyway. Would the shelter really be able to fold in order to be come portable ? I fear that when we have Critique presentation, this will be my weak point/design flaw.

My design is the only ' portable' design in the group anyway, everyone else's will need a car at least.

the bag would just go in a pocket (easy replacement if damaged too) when collapsed and it would be a bit like putting a sandwich in a bag so the collapsible bit becomes the support structure rather than the shelter.
You could then keep it in a U shape with a base plus a few straps to add on an additional storage unit so it can be like a true rucksack.

There are so many easy options for your design, although obviously you're not used to looking at the design in that way where as I am (product design background).

Yeah, I'm finding it a little hard to visualise really, then I need to draw it in CAD, I know that if I don't they will mark me down for not doing all the work ( as little as they know I've spend the past 6 days learning ArchiCAD ! ) How long have you been doing Product design for ? Which CAD program do you use ?

Hopefully I will come up with something by tomorrow night, then I can create another design ( going to do 2 CAD drawings ) then lay them all out in InDesign... 48 hours to do so ( I work all Saturday, deadline is Monday )

Thank You

I don't do product design so much now, more just cad but getting on for 10 years if I include uni (BSc Product Design) :blink:

Trained in solidworks and 3ds max plus I'm now looking into maya, alibre and revit to supplement them so to speak.

You've got plenty of time, we were knocking out final designs on projects in the last 48 hours :)

Haha, Well I'm just re-drawing the model for the 6th time... It kept going wrong and now I just feel like giving up :(

Well... That would take a very long time, but at least you could break your tools when it goes wrong, I can't really want to smash my Mac :p

It took me less time to do it by hand when I first started out. Then solidworks came into play and made it a drag and drop affair :)

Back