Approaching a client yourself?

Kevin

Pretty straight-forward... can you email somebody and basically tell them that their site is crap (and believe me, it's crap!) and that you can do a better job against a feasible fee?

The site I speak of is for educational purposes and helps people make a decision on whether or not they should go to college. They also present (in a very poor way) all different options once you get into college. The client itself is an independent organization built to help students (I'm a student, so they should give me a shot, IMO), and more generally teenagers.

Such a good question!!

I'd love to see some answers to this as I know people who are in the same situation as it were "bad" sites or print work that could do with being revamped or improved. But I haven't the faintest clue if/how I should approach them

I have in the past approached local companies in this way, I didn't include fee/rate information, just kept it to more general feedback, and then happened to mention that I would be able to help. I've also cold called companies after seeing their local newspaper ads, on the strength that a) they have a budget for print advertising and haven't got a website or b) they have a website and it's outdated and doesn't match their print advertising efforts.

Had some success with this approach, although I would be very careful about how you word your contact, as it could easily been taken the wrong way and cause offense!

Greg
PS- Be interesting to hear others views on this subject too :)

If I see potential work or improvement in anyones work, I'm like a greyhound on Speed.
Shy Bairns get no chocolate! Wording and tact is very important as bear in mind they may have commisioned it or had involvement and therefore have ownership of the mess!
I have had success with this route too, and it there is nothing wrong with it. Just demonstrate the business benefits in improvement. This is after all a business decision.

I'd be interested what sort of success rate you (Berry) or others have had with this? Something like a %?

When I did some cold calling of local companies (when I first started freelancing) I had interest from 2 out of around 12 companies I contacted, and 1 lead onto a small website job and some identity work.

So based on that 1/12, just over 8%, although clearly not enough to be a good indicator.
Though I will say I had more success with direct contact like this than sending a letter.

I would guestimate that for every company I have contacted like this i would get a 80% conversion - if and only if I could show/ demonstrate a valid financial business benefit to re- invest in the work that they had already spent money in. Must create a good business case.

That's the key, if the business has already spent out on a website for example, that has lead to little or no additional business, you really have to give them evidence or demonstration that re-investing in that same area will lead to results with your/your company's expertise.

Not an easy task if they have had their fingers burnt by a cowboy! :cowboy:

Thinking and persuadingare two different things.
This is weremost designers fail - they can do,but they can't persaude.
It's all about the art of the Sell.

I think I need to post a specific thread or article onthis key issue.
We are nothing but salesmen who infact sell through design communication.
Before we can sell a clients needs we must first sell ourselves. If we can't sell ourselves why would a client give us money to sell them?

I've done it and it has worked!

Websites work best as you can add seo and better coding etc as part of the overall improvement sales pitch rather than just saying I can make it look better - pay me... as there are lots of eeeediots out there who are unable to recognise why the awful design they paid next to nothing or got ripped off for is failing to attract business.

Back