Apprenticeship Nightmare

wac

So in January Wac Design is due to go from a 2 to 3 person team with the addition of an apprentice.
The trouble is that the quality of the C.V's has been somewhat...abominable.
I specified that, above all else, literacy was the most sough after quality...
Here's some highlights:
"I also am organised and ambition"
"I am able to answer question and give a good amount of detail"
"I like the Illustration and can see new way to help me with my work"
"I ALSO AIM TO FURTHER MY KNOWLEDGE THROUGHOUT THE USE
OF DESIGN SOFTWARE TO INITIALLY CREATE AN OUTSTANDING
PERFORMANCE"
Who is your favourite creative person and why?
"NOT SURE."
"I work well with a surrounding team; sense of support which boosts my confidence even
more."
"Adaptable - I'm a fast learner; I can pick things up consistently especially
with deign being one of my biggest interests."
"I can use Microsoft"

Isn't that good Engrish.... you can't complain about that lol
Seriously though, clearly they can't use Mircrosoft Word's spelling and grammer check lol

There's a lot of that here, too... it terrifies me some of the work coming out of universities lately...
Also lots of egos.

The company I'm at have been recruiting recently and they too have been saying about the pretty grim level of the applications.
Basics like not even using capitals for their name and a fair amount of 'text speak" in the covering letters were common.
One candidate in interview replied to the question "what are your interests"?
"Gambling, travel and drinking"

scotty said:
One candidate in interview replied to the question "what are your interests"?
"Gambling, travel and drinking"
at least he was honest lol

Reactions: wac
It's quite embarrassing how illiterate some people are, and how little they realise the negative impact it has on their chances of success... We live in the information age, and I'm pretty sure that within 5 minutes of 'Googling' I would be able to find a host of information on how to present yourself when job hunting or applying for things like apprenticeships. It's just sad that people don't use the free resources available to them, when there's really no good reason behind it.

I ditched uni. It was crammed with egos and expectations. I went a while without work and attended many interviews. The early ones were tough, but it got easier. Each time I added or changed something about the way I present myself in an interview, and the job I really wanted, I got. There's no excuse not to ensure you present yourself and your work in an appropriate way. Lets just hope these applicants figure out what they've done wrong and fix it for next time. And as for the egos. They'll soon realise the average design studio is more about sharing ideas and collaborating on projects, with no room to accommodate a bad attitude :D

Back