Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple's New Mac Books

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Rhonda, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

Just saw this article on CNN and wanted to share for those who love Mac. :eek:
    New Mac Book Pros

Except the article does not say if those will be available in the UK or for how much but I am sure they will be as well.
  2. DeanZappy

DeanZappy Senior Member

Entry level 13 inch went from £899 to £999, ouch.
  3. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

£100 isn't bad for the increase in spec, however even with student discount I don't have the cash to shell out for the 15" models. Shame really, thought they might bring in an i5 at less than £1000 (after discount)
  4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

and is still core 2 duo according to specs (ie 6 yeas old architecture, same as the last one), it hasn't really been upgraded and I'm pretty sure the geforce 320 is just another rebadge of the previous gpu (nvidia not apple here). So apart from the improved batterylife, which I think is down to a larger size battery there isn't much reason to buy that one.

The 13" really is bad value now compared with what you can get elsewhere with windows on if you're prepared to go a little bulkier and run windows - asus U30JC-1A for example is $900 (mac 13" is $1199) and runs an i3 with the gf320 and has 9 hours batterylife. Maybe not quite as stylish as a mac, but you know it just shows what the 13" should have been spec wise.

15" isn't too bad spec wise but I think the price has gone up again and they look to have finally given the option of a higher res display - good god! The improved batterylife is down to using the intel gpu's, they are relatively frugal with the power usage compared with the last options but they are also considerably weaker.

Will say it's nice to see apple's implemented nvidia's optimus tech like windows has ;)
  5. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

The advantage with the 13" is its still the do it all portable from apple... even if it is pricey.
  6. Levi

and outdated. Its the 12" powerbook all over again, apple haven't bothered upgrading the smaller size model again.
  7. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

the 12" powerbook was wank.
  8. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Nicely put....

I have a 12" G4 Powerbook and use it as a back up machine and for portable surfing.

It's a great stable platform that does the job. Sure I'm not doing Photoshop or video work on it but as a 4 year old 300 quid laptop it 's grand.

Interested in the new Mac laptops ..... new toys....
  9. Levi

I liked the 12" powerbook, always thought it was underpowered though
  10. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I saw 4 on my degree and I saw 4 sold very quickly
  11. tim

tim Senior Member

benefits not features levi.

for yourself, maybe you need a faster computer.

for the rest of us who can handle 4gb ram 250gb 2.4ghz really well for our design/etc apps, it's great.

i'm on 2.66ghz 4gb 500gb hdd - not realyl slowed once for me, whatever im doing.

now that doesnt mean i use high usage apps or low usage apps, but what it does mean is that it suits my usage perfectly.

13" mbp are beautiful.

i have 15", hate it. too big. that's why i love my ipad.
  12. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Cheapest one on the article, $1,199 - converts to approximately £777.22. Charging £999 is mental.
  13. tim

tim Senior Member

apple dont show tax on their prices in america (like all companies) as it depends on each state.

let's go with New York fo example (as that's the only one i can remember)

i think 9.845% on top.

so £856

still £140 but who cares... get it in the US if you want it.
  14. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Nah I'm happy with my iMac for now. Any mobile internetting needs doing, it gets done by the iPod Touch or even the iBook G4 that still bombs along like a good'un.
  15. tim

tim Senior Member

glad to hear it
  16. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I wonder when these things'll be packing re-writeable Blu-Ray drives...
  17. tim

tim Senior Member

when it's the most popular format probably.
  18. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Hmm... could take a while, that.
  19. Levi

How is having a core 2 duo over an i3/i5 a benefit on the 13"?
    The i3/i5 and i7 for that matter have all shown that they are better performing cpu's and they use the same or less power. They also have the built in gpu to allow for better battery life, just like the 15/17" models.

I'm not saying the c2d is a slow cpu but relatively I'm sure that people would appreciate extra performance or longer battery life options afforded by using the core i processors.

I'm actually more about batterylife on a laptop than all out performance but I like a balanced value proposition. I'm not the only one questioning apples decision to not really upgrade the 13" model, performance wise it offers very little reason to buy it over the white macbook
  20. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

It does seem like money on top of the macbook for no real reason.