Apple vs Samsung

ARRIVALS

So Apple have won the case, and the courts have ordered Samsung to pay Apple $1.05bn (£665m) in damages for infringing intellectual property. Several Samsung devices have infringed iPhone-maker Apple's software and design patents, but rejected counter-claims by Samsung.

I was on the side of Apple here. It's pretty obvious just looking at some of the products involved, basic design and functionality was too close to that of Apples.

What next for Samsung though?

samsung should now try and come back stronger and try and create a new look. (yes i no this will be had but with samsungs mega millions they can do it)

i was on apples side also but it was a blatant rip lol

Don't Samsung currently hold the biggest share of the global smartphone market? While their ethical reputation may have taken a bit of a hit (and who cares about that when they're buying a phone?), $1bn US, at roughly one third of the profits from their mobile phone arm in the last quarter, is basically a slap on the wrist. All things considered, I'd be quite happy with that.

And the story continues, Apple have been losing court action in lots of other countries, like here in the UK;

BBC News; Apple ordered to post public apology to Samsung

Although Samsung certainly had a few products too "samey", I think a lot of this stuff is ridiculous, half of Apple's apparent patents don't feel like they should really have gotten a patent, wasn't part of this decision to do with Samsung using a rectangle with rounded corners shape for their products? I've got a ten year old NEC monitor sitting in front of me which is rectangular with rounded corners, the first TV sets ever made had that screen shape etc.

And the story continues, Apple have been losing court action in lots of other countries, like here in the UK;

BBC News; Apple ordered to post public apology to Samsung

Although Samsung certainly had a few products too "samey", I think a lot of this stuff is ridiculous, half of Apple's apparent patents don't feel like they should really have gotten a patent, wasn't part of this decision to do with Samsung using a rectangle with rounded corners shape for their products? I've got a ten year old NEC monitor sitting in front of me which is rectangular with rounded corners, the first TV sets ever made had that screen shape etc.

Those kids just won't play nicely will they? One Samsung thing they thought of all by themselves is the latest colour on the SIII. It is the brown of a well-formed turd. I would have had an SIII but didn't want it in blue or 'Essex' white so got an HTC One X instead :)

Love my SGS3. I think Apple are just worried about Samsung releasing more popular products. Even though smart phones and tablet computers have been around before Apple iproducts, I think if it wasn't down to the success of the iPhone / iPad those industries wouldn't be the same so fair play to Apple for that. I think Apple going after companies for making a rounded rectangle shape products or trying to claim ownership over UI consisting of only a grid of icons is a bit insane. They tried claiming ownership of 'App store' name and failed. I think this is the problem with making things so simple its hard to claim ownership of them. The patent system is totally messed up - technically all companies could sue each other over different patents they each own but choose not to most of the time just because of how complex and expensive they are to fight. It seems its just Apple choosing to do so, trying to slow Samsung down who are as mentioned outselling the iPhone.

Also as Samsung supply many of the parts for Apple products they have recently increased their prices quite a lot Samsung reportedly raising iPhone and iPad processor prices by a fifth | The Verge sure that will make the 2 companies get on even better..!

Maybe a bit... I got mine in 'Essex white'.. to match my car.. ;)

I also bought a 64gb card for it, so with the memory already on the phone that gives me 80gb of storage, more than any phone on the market I believe. The only annoying thing is I would rather have stock Android on it than Samsung's 'touchwiz' in the same way I probably wouldn't want sense on a HTC phone (used to have the Desire).

Back