Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

apple updates

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by tim, Jul 20, 2011.

1. tim

tim Senior Member

so, just a heads up as to what's new.

new mac minis (i5+i7 processors, standard thunderbolt I/O and 500GB HDD+ on all)
    new macbook airs (i5+i7 processors, standard thunderbolt I/O)
    no more white MacBooks!

all ship with lion but if you bought a mac in the past 2 months it's a free upgrade anyway.

there's a 27" thunderbolt display too, but if you want it you'll have to wait 2 months.
  2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Mac Mini - no optical drive......I'm all for progress towards digital media (apple's spin) but you still need to burn a disk once in a while at the very least, also kind of defeats the point of having a hdmi slot, if you already have another computer why not just buy a apple tv if you want it for streaming video from apple etc.....

Macbook Air - kind of brought most of it up to where it should have been when it was released, am curious over which cpu's were used though, it's not the clock speed, it's the model number as intel are meant to be doing some ultra ultra low voltage chips which are going into the likes of the asus ux21/31. Backlit keyboards were sorely lacking on the last version.

27inch thunderbolt displays, I like the display port daisy chaining they're implementing and wish some other manufacturers would use this part of the display port spec. Anybody can implement it to a display port monitor if they follow the 1.2 spec or higher and the users computer supports the output on the graphics card.

I'm not sure I like the 'download' only approach to the software, 4GB (just the OS) is a hell of a lot to download in this day and age, even if you ignore download usage limits etc. If internet was a bit more advanced in the UK it wouldn't be an issue but I still say they should have had a usb stick/dvd option for larger files. Just think about the size of programs like photoshop etc...
  3. tim

tim Senior Member

mac mini has no optical drive on the server only.

and i don't know anyone who has a mac with ****ty internet enough to not be able to download mac os. maybe even if they let it run over night and have caffeine keep it awake.

no issue on my end tho, haven't heard of one :)
  4. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Tim, please see - Apple - Mac mini - So many new features for such a small space. No optical Drive on any version

"With the Mac App Store, getting the apps you want on your Mac has never been easier. No more boxes, no more discs, no more time-consuming installation. Click once to download and install any app on your Mac. But if an app you need isn’t available from the Mac App Store, you can use DVD or CD Sharing. This convenient feature of OS X lets you wirelessly “borrow” the optical drive of a nearby Mac or PC. So you can install applications from a DVD or CD and have full access to an optical drive without having to carry one around."

Now had Lion on laptop since came out, must say quite smooth. Burtnt DVD disk to do a clean install and all seems smooth! Must say impressed! Few dislikes already, expose groups 1 apps windows. Not great when switching between DW & PS and want to get to a specific PS window! O well.
  5. tim

tim Senior Member

oh whoops didn't check, my bad.

that is a bit weird.

coolest feature on lion for me is app expose because it shows the last 10 or so documents you worked on as well.

so if you quit the app and open it back up you can just pull four fingers down and select the right files to open.

pretty cool.
  6. Chris Lord

Chris Lord Senior Member

How do you claim your free upgrade?
  7. tim

tim Senior Member

apple have an up to date scheme, there's a link.

give me a minute i'll try find it.

edit: best thing to do is wait until live chat is open on the apple online store in your country.

the normal link isn't working.

but the process with snow leopard was basically filling in a form on the website (proof of purchase etc) and asking for a disk (which you had to pay postage for).

this year it's probably different as it's based on the mac app store, so expect some kind of app store redeem code.
  8. Levi

Unless of course they live outside of a city/town where internet isn't quite so stable. UK's not quite ready for the download revolution. Just think how long it would take on an average 2-4meg (average according to recent surveys) connection to download 4GB (I assume that you can transfer installer files to another mac) and then get all your apps again, I've got over 60Gigs worth of stuff when I install :<

OS-X didn't have that feature, seems a strange omission :confused: Win 7 has that, you get the option of recent files (right click) if you pin a program to the 'task bar' or a pop out section in the 'start menu'
  9. tim

tim Senior Member

yeah you could do that, but app expose is one simple swipe and you're there with all your files.

and it looks good.

as i said, i dont think leaving it overnight to download would be a pain the butt. 3.74GB is huge yes, but it's not unobtainable on a slower than usual connection.

and if the UK isnt ready for a download revolution, who's going to start it?

a bit company like apple, or microsoft for that matter, have the ability to change that. not really an issue.
  10. Levi

Streaming video media, when we get a decent option (Tesco's now own blinkbox and netfilx is supposed to be heading to the UK) for this it might see more people complaining about their lack of speed. Unfortunately for the people limited to bt (like me) we're screwed lol, I don't even have a date for adsl 2 in my area let alone their 'fibre' upgrades.

I would love for us to just get closer to japan and the likes, it's not like our country is much bigger yet they've got a decent public transport system (different topic) and their network infrastructure for internet is far superior to ours, hell their phones run faster than our land lines lol
  11. tim

tim Senior Member

in exceptional circumstance i would probably agree that someone somewhere may be stuck for a period of time ranging from 5 minutes to 5 years.

where there's a will, there's a way.

anyway, nothing wrong with 10.6 or 10.5 or 10.4 (didnt use OSX before that but im sure it's still better than windows), so if they can't get lion, that's a shame for them but i'm sure they'll be fine.

but yes the UK doesn't have the highest of standards or the most amount of money or the best government or the richest people. which does suck.