Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple tablet

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by mrp2049, Oct 2, 2009.

1. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

2. i'd have one :lol:

3. tim

tim Senior Member

you know what?

i really dont follow this.

it'd be cool, but i dont see it happening, i really dont.

4. any particular reason why it wouldn't happen Timbo :) just curious :)

5. tim

tim Senior Member

well, it'd be awesome, it really would.

but i just dont think it's a viable option as of yet.

maybe i'm wrong, i just dont see it in an apple store...

6. It does look like someone took an iPhone and fed it loads to make it big and strong :D

7. Harry

Harry Senior Member

It looks well inconvenient! The iPhone is not a small phone by any means, imagine carting that ****er around! You'd be better off with a laptop/netbook—similar size but way more functionality.
    Plus think how expensive that'd be… A paper is <£1, and you can fold one of those up and take it wherever. This thing is rigid and will cos about 500 newspapers.

And I wouldn't be able to swat a fly with that :(

8. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

unless it has a stylus and enough power to run photoshop etc (or a lighter version of) I can't see the point in an enlarged ipod touch (its meant to run iphone os-x). If its aimed at purely a web tablet (ie viewing the web and using cloud computing) then surely the likely to be cheaper crunchpad be a better option (under $400 at present) as this is its intended purpose plus some media playback bits.
    If I wanted an ebook reader (ie kindle) then using a tft type display is just wrong the whole point of eink was batterylife and being better for your eye sight (yes I know theres a hybrid eink/tft) and you can get an ebook reader for around £100

9. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Why have they made it look like an iPhone? That button on the side just looks ridiculous.

10. Levi

because everyone assumes the tablet will look like a large ipod touch

11. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

It just devalues the product, design it to be the best it can be for the specific product it is, don't just be lazy and copy the iPhone design.

Looks horrid IMO.

12. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Must be very delicate, I wouldnt like carrying it around...

13. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Don't forget, it's not real.

Nice though.

...and forget that Apple usually catch us all out with a curve ball.
    remember the iPhone mock ups with the iPod wheel?
    Wayyyyyy offf! but we all looked and went ooooooooo!

14. Levi

Did we, I didn't, I thought it was a rubbish idea as it had no useability.

15. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

You are totally right, but the rumour factory picked up a few mock up
    Photoshop picks and off they went
    It would not have worked.

It fooled one or two numpties as they do.

What I'm saying is no one expected the fantastic touch screen interface and app store.
    Totally revolutionizing the phone/PDA market.

16. Levi

I wouldn't exactly say its revolutionary, its simplification to the simplest form which is easy when all you support is one product (the ipod touch is the same hardware basically), its fundamental that a product that supports more than one hardware configuration is going to be more complicated. Look at the palm pre, its (arguably) the next best phone to the iphone and what does it have in common, one product (well 2 if you include the pixi but its not out yet)

Just look how long it took them to implement some of the features that were standard on my old p900 (and the p800 before it) and to be honest apart from gps, wifi and 3G which wasn't around in a mobile back then there isn't a great deal of progress between the two in my opinion. Plus I like having a stylus on my touchscreen mobile.

As to the app store, there have been earlier versions but none with the 'sales power' of itunes.

17. Goreki

Goreki Member

Why are people acting as if those pictures are the final designs of a possible tablet? If you look they are each a different design. I hope it doesn't look like any of these, they are awful.

And the whole idea of having it as a "print player" (whatever the hell that means) is stupid. Having a device like that with the sole purpose of having it display newspapers, magazines, etc is ridiculous. Apple - while simplicity is part of their MO - wouldn't limit themselves in such a way. They'd develop this to allow their users to get the most out of their product like they had with the iPhone. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something far more complex if it actually arrives.

18. I just hope that whatever they do pull out of the hat its something new and not just a rehash of something they've already made :)

19. charles

charles Senior Member

20. Levi

its called the modbook, they should have a 15inch capacitive with pen version at somepoint too (concept been shown). iirc you can get it from macwarehouse at a hefty markup